Metal Halide 2 or 3 lamps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ezy33

Aquarium Advice Addict
Metal Halide 2 or 3 400 watts on a 6' 180 gal? Or 3 250 watt lamps?

Last fall I answered a add for a reef tank and was just thinking about buying the lighting. The add stated 2 250 MH mogul base and 3 VHO T12 Actinic. After a few moments on the phone I found out the whole system was $300.00. When I arrived it turned out that MH lights were 400 watts way too much for my 55 gal. So as I get ready to pull my 180 gal fresh water from the wall to install my 180 reef I'm thinking about the lighting. Would 3 250 watt lamps be better or would 2 400 watt be ok? I will scrap the VHO for 4 65 watt Actinic PCs.

As Metal Halide lighting is new to me and the tank will be under a stair case. What would be the best distance from lamp to water for a 24" deep tank? Has anyone used E-Bay to buy lamps with any luck?

Thanks in advance.

General rule is one MH lamp per two feet of lenght you would want to light. Ideally, 3 x 400watt MH in a 180 would be great, due to the depth of the tank. Depending on what you plan to keep, 3 x 250 would be better then 2 x 400, IMO. It will give you more even, consistant light across the lenght of the tank.

I run 2x250 over my 4'x2'x2' deep 120. I would get 3 of whatever you get for your tank. You can't beat the color of the 400s though. If you want SPS I'd go 400s. If you are going to keep LPS/softies/etc. I'd do 250s otherwise you'll have tremendous bleaching problems even at the lowest levels.

Back
Top Bottom