Methylene blue & fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fidgetromeo

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i have a black molly that im convinced has fungus, so i put him in a hospital tankwith methylene blue as treatment, ive never used it before so im wondering, ive read that he should be in there for 3 to 5 days, is this right and how should i go about transferring him back to the main tank, should i change the water and keep him in quarantine for a bit first and if i think hes not cured re treat? any advice would be much appreciated

Yes, I'd keep in QT for a bit longer and make sure it doesn't come back. Usually I find the fungus is in retreat after 2nd or third day of treatment here.

Today is 4th day and he does look better, I'll keep him qt till maybe Sunday

Looks like it's going down but kinda hard to tell with how blue the water is

Definitely keep up what you are doing :) Transferring back once you are sure the fungus is gone is not too tricky. You just have to acclimate slowly back to the tank's conditions. A slow drip acclimation should work fine.

Definitely keep up what you are doing :) Transferring back once you are sure the fungus is gone is not too tricky. You just have to acclimate slowly back to the tank's conditions. A slow drip acclimation should work fine.
or just pick him up with your hands and drop him back in the tank....... either way.......:lol:

just sayin......with goldfish especially hands are always better than nets, nets cut into skin of a fish and cause infection and can be dirty. hehe

I couldn't pick up by hand, but the tank water should be almost the same between the 2 tanks really, so when he's ready I'll net him

Interesting to read, however in my case, the quarantine tank is filled from the main tanks old water, so really shouldn't be an issue for me. I will admit I have never really thought much about acclimating when moving between my tanks as they all test near enough the same

Sorry, you asked how to transfer the fish?

How many parameters do you test for? (Just a question)
To get rid of meds use carbon in the filter.

The quarantine is unfiltered the methylene would kill the nitrifying bacteria anyway, so I just have it with an airstone, I test for ph kh gh ammonia nitrite nitrate and phosphate, all are always near enough the same except for nitrate.

My question of how to transfer was more about whether to put him right back into the main tank or keep him in qt for a bit or stuff like that

Back
Top Bottom