Mexican Turbo Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are Mexican Turbo Snails hard to keep? I was at my LFS last week and he stress to go with the Tiger or Mexican Turbo Snail so I decided to go with them. I got home and after acclimating them and the next day one was dead. Day 2 another one was dead day four 2 more died. Day five another one went... Now I I'm currently sitting with 2 Turbo Snails and they look like there about to bomb as well my PH level is at 8.2 should it be higher? all my other water Parameters are Perfect. Think they could have been sick? I know they couldn't have starved to dead casue there was enough food and Algea to go around for everyone... And it's Funny I had 1 Astera Snail in my 55g and he was a Hitch Hiker and he is perfectly fine... oh and I bought 6 turbo snails now I am down to 2... I am thinking I should load up on Astera Snails Since they seem to be the hardy one.... Let me know what you guys think I should do or do different....

Thanks
:icecream:

A year or so ago, I bought 2 turbos. They're still alive today. I lose asteas all the time (not right after purchase though), but the turbos seem indestructable. Think you either got some bad ones, or your acclimation wasn't long enough? (I've never acclimated anything over 60 minutes.)

my lfs told me just to float my (6) turbos and then just plop em in. all but the one that went into the 3gal (that had bad parameters)((lived a few months)) are still alive. and i'd stay stick with the mexican turbos, my 3 tiger turbos are always (sleepin?) not doin their job.

my lfs told me just to float my (6) turbos and then just plop em in. all but the one that went into the 3gal (that had bad parameters)((lived a few months)) are still alive. and i'd stay stick with the mexican turbos, my 3 tiger turbos are always (sleepin?) not doin their job.

It's just weird my Astera is all over my tank more than my turbos they stay in one spot maybe i am just having some back luck with them this time around.... I need a clean up crew I am only running on a few right now..... 7 hermit crabs and 3 snails( 1 astera and 2 turbos )for now....:-?

ive noticed that the tigers wont move for a few days at a time in my tank but the mexicans will only stop for a few hours tops.

my lfs told me just to float my (6) turbos and then just plop em in.

This is often bad advice that LFS give. It definitely is not sound. A longer acclimation is needed plus you need to mix in some of the tank water in so they can acclimate to it. Most LFS water is a lower salinity than what we keep at home. Whether you do a drip acclimation or add a half cup every twenty minutes you just cant throw them from the LFS water to yours. It was probably a pretty good shock to their system. JMO

This is often bad advice that LFS give. It definitely is not sound. A longer acclimation is needed plus you need to mix in some of the tank water in so they can acclimate to it. Most LFS water is a lower salinity than what we keep at home. Whether you do a drip acclimation or add a half cup every twenty minutes you just cant throw them from the LFS water to yours. It was probably a pretty good shock to their system. JMO

yea i didnt really follow their advise, i dont think i acclimated them fully cuz it was one of the first acclimations i did but i knew to at least give more than a float.

Yeah I was doing a half cup every 20 minutes for about 1hr.. If that is long enough...

depends on how much water was in there to start. if they came in a 5 gallon bucket then no, if they came in 1/2 cup of water then too fast. depends,lol (exaggeration of course). :p

Back
Top Bottom