MH for dummies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm running 4x65 PCs on my 110 tall tank...looking to possibly upgrade to MH in the future. I'd like to do some research on them first. I've always owned NO or PC.

Can someone point me to a link with good info on MH lighting? I'm just confused by the different types of MH lamps I've seen, plus don't really understand the whole 'retro kit' thing other than it can be mounted in the canopy - but, I don't get how far away it from the water it needs to be, if I need acrylic or glass between the bulb and the water. Basically, too confused for a thread. Would like to research them but don't really know where to start.

Thanks.

- Skins

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Thats a good bulb comparison.

Retro kits come with a reflector and ballast, and usualy some wiring. They require some DIY work to mount and wire. They're designed to be mounted 8-12" above the water. If you use double ended/HQI bulbs, you need a UV filtering glass shield. For SE/mogul bulbs, its optional, and only there for splash protection. Never use an acryllic shield, as they will craze, crack, or melt.

Back
Top Bottom