Midnight Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desastre

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today was probably the first time I'm actually glad I have a horrible migraine. Apparently some type of chemical got into my tank during my pwc and at first I didn't notice intill I woke up the first time and saw one of my apistos died. Although I thought it was strange my head hurt so much I took him out and dumped him. A half hr later the pain woke me up and I went to get some more aspirin. I checked my tank and to my horror half my fish were bright pink and my other male apisto had died with the last bleeding heart tetra. The pain went away instantly as I ran to get my python and did about a 95% water change and added all the carbon I never use in hopes to remove whatever I put in by mistake. As of 20 minutes later the fish are regaining there color and my cories have stopped banging against the side glass. My female nannacarra seems to be a bit touchy still but I'm hoping she will regain her color before she pulls thru. Also almost lost a BN Pleco that got caught on top of the sucky for the intake that I'm thanking god I saw as he was one of the first fish in my tank. Well I just thought I'd share my horror and if anyone knows anything else I can do for the fish please let me know.

Hope they survive. WIth the water change and mystery 'chemical' you will probaly go through at least a mini cycle, so I would do a 10% water changes every few day for the next month since you do not know how poent or if any trace amounts of the mystery "chemical" are in the tank still.

Yeah. I already connected the python to the laundry room sink. The chemical can rather be from my wife cleaning around the slate I had stored that I recently added or from off that I may have gotten on my hands from spraying it on my legs. In either case I'll be doing water changes twice a day most likely for a bit and watching my parameters to see if anythings increases rapidly. On the bright side I had my female apistos part with fries, one of my gbrs in quarantine, and my new electric blue ram in another quarantine so there weren't to many fish in the tank to begin with.

Im so sorry!!!! Thats terrible! What was the total amount of casualties? Hope you head feels better too

Well casualty one was my head lol with the never ending migraine. So far casualties were two male apisto cacautoides, (leaving me with one who lucky to his size got his own tank) one bleeding heart tetra which was in the tank by mistake after I sold off the rest of the school. And one sterbai Cory. The touch and gos from what I'm observing are my kuhli loaches who for the first time ever all out of the sand, a female nannacarra, and my dwarf gourami which was my first fish so that would really hurt if I lost him. I seperated him in specific and tool out a spare sponge filter from one of my breeding tanks with an extra hob filter to put him in his own tank to hopefully see him pull thru. As my wife flips out tomorrow for seeing another small tank up and about. Making me the first and last casualty.

Ahh great part I left out as I disconnected the canister filter I apparently didnt have the tube on tight enuf so it came out and started pouring water on the floor intill I pushed it back on. One of those nights that things don't want to go right.

Update morning after. So far no mini cycle. Ammonia 0 nit 0 trate 0. And my female nannacarra fully recovered her color and so did the rest of the fish knock on wood. Did a 25% water change though just incase.

hope the rest of your fish make it. your lucky you got up when you did,and not in the morning to a tank of dead fish

Back
Top Bottom