might be a stupid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have 2 of the same type heaters they are both 250 watt and i wanted to use them both on my 75 gallon tank one in the sump the other in the over flow, i want to do this just in case one malfunctions. i was just curious wouldn't putting 2 heaters just heat the tank faster and possibly over heat it or if i set them both to the same temperature they will just heat until one point and both shut off? sorry prob a stupid question

Jarrett said:
i have 2 of the same type heaters they are both 250 watt and i wanted to use them both on my 75 gallon tank one in the sump the other in the over flow, i want to do this just in case one malfunctions. i was just curious wouldn't putting 2 heaters just heat the tank faster and possibly over heat it or if i set them both to the same temperature they will just heat until one point and both shut off? sorry prob a stupid question

No not a stupid question just make sure you have thermometers.. I put on both sides of my 55 just to see the heat beside the heater and to know the temp when its not right beside the heater.. I would also put one in your sump. Maybe just one will do. I know some will bust and over heat your tanke just keep an eye on it. Pretty soon im getting a heater with digital readings. Just make sure what the temp is when adding live things like shrip will roast if its degrees to high for them.. Hope the info helped....

You shouldn't have any problems. What you probably will find is that they are not in perfect sync and one will do most of the work unless there is a large temperature differential to be made. Do watch this and as edwardclaxton said, use thermometers to keep an eye on things.

Back
Top Bottom