Mineral Deposit Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I havent posted on in here in forever....4 major moves, 2 redesigns and 14 fish later im back on the boards.

But my question is, I have a huge problem with my tank water evaporating very quickly, and leaving behind the ever ugly mineral deposit lines at the top of my tank and all over the inside of my hood. Im just going to use a razor and remove it, but i was wondering if it dropped into the water would it hurt the balance of the tank? I wouldnt imagine so being as the minerals are in the water already...but idk.

It wont hurt the tank. You can clean it off the hood with white vinegar. Inside the tank a razor blade is probably your best bet.

Agreed - white vinegar (room temperature or warmed by the sun seems to work faster - IMO - for some reason) use a couple of soft sponges and you're good to go :bowl:

Agreed - white vinegar (room temperature or warmed by the sun seems to work faster - IMO - for some reason) use a couple of soft sponges and you're good to go :bowl:

The "some reason" is because the vinegar dissolving the deposits is a chemical reaction, and nearly always, chemical reactions occur faster the higher the temperature you have.

It won't hurt. What I usually do is take the hoods to the sink and go at them with a blade. For the tank, I do the cleaning during a water change. I wait till the water level is low then put a net under where I am going to be scraping. Then just scrape into the net. If it falls into the water it's not a big deal.

Only use a razor blade if you have a glass aquarium. If you have an acrylic tank you will scratch the **** out of it. Even if you DO have glass, you must make sure that the glass is wet with water when scraping with a razor blade or else you will scratch it.

As far as the lid goes, try using some muriatic acid. It's HCl, which is much stronger than vinegar and will work more easily. Rinse off the HCl in water when you are done. You can even use Prime or another dechlorinator to take care of the chlorine from the acid when you are finished.

Back
Top Bottom