Mixed Danio Species Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kayleyface

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I thought I would post this, since I have looked all over the internet and had little luck finding information.

I currently have a 55gallon tank and, with the exception of some bottom dwellers, my tank is a mixed danio species tank.

My stocking list is:
- 4 Blue Long finned Zebra Danio (danio reiro)
- 4 Gold Long finned Zebra Danio (danio reiro)
- 5 Lake Inle Danio (inlecypris auropurpurea/devario auropurpurea)
- 1 mystery danio (was given to me for free with the Lake Inle Danio, I've done a lot of research and had no success IDing her)
- 8 Celestial Pearl Danio (danio margaritatus)
- 7 Emerald Dwarf Rasbora/Danio (danio erythromicron)
- 6 Glowlight Danio (danio choprae)
- 2 Gold Ring Danio (danio tinwini)

I also have:
- 5 Julii Cory
- 4 Oto

Side note: About a month and a half ago my tank had Velvet Disease, which I got from my first school of Emerald Dwarf Danio, all of which one died off. I have since stabilized my tank and have had no fish deaths for over a month. However, that is why I only have two gold ring danio at the moment. I have some on order at my LFS, but the order has gotten delayed several times.

I was initially extremely hesitant to put the small danio (1" or under) with the larger danio species. From what I had read, people recommended against putting glowlight, celestial pearl, gold ring danio, or emerald dwarf danios with larger species such as zebra or my Lake Inle danio (which actually get up to 3"). However, I never found a single report of someone actually trying it.

I added my gold ring danio (who are my smallest fish) first and I actually introduced them in a breeder box for the first week. That seemed to be fine, so I introduced them to the main tank and had no problems. The little gold ring danio are as bold as brass and will even play tag with the much larger danio.

When I added the other small species of danio I was astounded at the movement and peaceful nature of my tank. All of my species will occasionally school together and there has been no aggression whatsoever. The species which are notoriously shy like glowlight danio and emerald dwarf danio/rasbora have not shown a hint of shyness. They never hide and I have not had any trouble with my fish not getting enough to eat. The tank itself is very fun to watch.

In short, my cautious experiment has been a great success and I thought I would share that with the community at large.

Congrats on ridding the tank of velvet and on a successful experiment. Sounds like a fun tank to watch.

Back
Top Bottom