mixed dwarf cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you mix dwarf cichlids like Bolivian rams, Apistos, curviceps, and the like in a 29 gallon tank?

I'm thinking of converting one of my 29 gallon tanks into a dwarf cichlid tank and the other 29 into an angelfish/gourami tank.

I don't know anything about the curviceps so I can't advise there, but I would think that Bolivian rams and apistos would be fine together. I would suggest one of each so there is no possibility of either species spawning. I keep 2 Bolivians in my 29 gallon and they are surprisingly territorial, but never do any damage to each other, mostly just chasing. I've never kept apistos before but as I understand it their temperament is very similar. As long as you provide plants and caves you should be fine. :D

i would say it would depend on the apistos. it would work with the right ones but thier are some more agressive species out there

I doubt it. Keeping one of each is a bit cruel. The fish will feel threatened because they lack companions. Remember, only keeping 1 ram is bad enough because it is a pair fish. When you're dealing with harem fish like some apistos, you have to think of them like neons or other schooling fish. Besides, you won't get any color out of them becaue they have no mates to impress. I suggest you pick one, maybe two, species and work from there. You could use plants, rocks, and other obsturctions to divide the tank in two, sort of what you would do with a tang. African tank.

Not necessarily. I've heard the same thing about Bolivian rams and mine don't like each other at all. I definitely wouldn't call them companions.

My Bolivians meet in the middle of the tank and face-off from time to time. It doesn't amount to much. My curviceps do it some too but they sometimes hang out together too. A harem of Apistos would be nice though. Can you have more than one male?

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask this. What about multiple male Apistos of different species in a 55 gallon tank?

Back
Top Bottom