Mixing Loaches - can a khuli loach go with a yo-yo or clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are you allowed to mix loaches??

I know loaches like to hang in groups of the same species, but what about other different loaches?

because currently I have 5 cories with 2 khuli loaches.
I was thinking of re-arranging my tanks, and putting my 4 yo-yo loaches instead of the 5 cories.

do u think the khuli's would be happier with the yo-yo loaches instead of the cories?

i have kuhli loaches in with a clown loach. I have always mixed loach/botia species.

So long as the kuhlis have somewhere to hide that is safe to them, they are fine with whoever you put in with them.

They may not "play" with them, but they will interact with them. And yes, at times they may play together as well. My yoyo's sometimes will play with my dojo loach, and swim side by side with him.

I have never seen my kuhli's play with my zebra's. The kuhi's only come out at feeding time and after lights out.

I don't even think the kuhli's even know the zebra's are there.

so do u think I should go ahead and swap the cories for the yo-yo's???

the reason I want to move the cories is because they are very skittish in their current tank.
Everytime I approach the tank, they dart away and run to the back of the tank.
I have to move slowly around the tank.
The only time they are constantly happy is when I put food in the tank.
So maybe perhaps they will be more active with the silver dollars and tiger barbs?

The yo-yo's on the other hand are very tame and friendly.
They are not shy at all.
They follow my finger when I move it around.

So if I were to swap them -
the tanks will look like this:
50 gallon
3 angels
4 danios
1 bristlenose
2 kuhli's loaches
+ the 4 yo-yo's

the other tank would look like
50 gallon
3 silver dollars
1 gourami
6 tiger barbs
+ the 5 cories.

what do u think??
the other solution would be to leave both tanks as is, but just buy more cories?

I have one lonely kuhli that I picked up yesterday. They are rare around here and the LFS had one little guy left, si I grabbed him. Hopefully I will be able to pick up one or two more for some company.

I just snapped this pic about 15 mins ago:
img_646806_0_2a257d5f0f455c094d90d547bc7c1b03.jpg

Wow nice picture, how the ..did you get him to hold still.

Well at least you got proof he's in the tank, cus that might be the lat time you see him. (they are great at hiding)

Well, there's bad news...the little kuhli was dead this morning. :(

He was kind of lethargic last night when I took those pics. The fact that he was out in the open and not acting crazy should've tipped me off. That's how they were in LFS, probably because there was nowhere to hide in the tank there. Anyway, he was there dead in the exact same spot when I got up this morning... :cry:

I think you should get the kuhliis in the 50 a couple more buddies. They are more adventerous and entertaining in groups.

FWIW mine have are goofballs and hang out with the Hillstream (when he lets them) and otos (always).

HTH

Back
Top Bottom