Mixing problems with Oceanic salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
I`ve used oceanic for years and for some reason when I got this tote every batch the water stays cloudy. It always in the past has gotten very clear by the next day but isnt doing so this time. Been like that the last 4 batches. When I add it to the tank it`s pretty cloudy but the tank clears back up after a few hours. Any ideas?

i wonder if they changed something? cause the times ive been mixing for a water change id have to wait even longer to do it. and its quite annoying lol

alright! ive been thinking of switching salts anyways. I was thinking of using seachems salt its all they use at work and they have no complants about it.

Melosu58 did you hear back from them? and is there any real difference between salts, sorry but I'm new here and just curious =)
thanks

i doubt he has yet. and yeah there is some can have nitrates and different levels of phosphates in them also they have different levels of ph. plus some are better for reef tanks. oceanic is good thats what ive used only things i dont like is it does have a lower ph well for me it seems to be. and now the cloudiness

i doubt he has yet. and yeah there is some can have nitrates and different levels of phosphates in them also they have different levels of ph. plus some are better for reef tanks. oceanic is good thats what ive used only things i dont like is it does have a lower ph well for me it seems to be. and now the cloudiness

oh I didn't know that, about the ph and phosphates in them, I have a 125g saltwater, with live rock and fish. I need to do a water change and was wanting to make sure I get the right kind of salt, Coralife is the one I had been using but wanted to be sure it was a good one.
thank you

No they have not called back yet. I just left a second call. I personally like oceanic better but there is no one is better than all the rest or we would be using it. They all have their pro`s and cons. The pro`s for oceanic is a higher calcium.

I have read of this same thing happening with other salt mixes. It typically is from a single run that is distributed around the country. It is not uncommon for things to get a little off in production. As long as the water is clearing up and the params are good I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may want to get your next batch from a different source and see if that helps. There should be a lot number on the bucket/box or bag somewhere. Look for a different lot next time you buy.

alright! ive been thinking of switching salts anyways. I was thinking of using seachems salt its all they use at work and they have no complants about it.

I am still trying different salts but I can say that so far the Seachem Reef Salt is the best I have used so far

I only have a bag of the stuff I've been using and I've ordered some Instant Ocean (after doing tons of reading ugh) that's showing up on Thursday, I was going to mix the 2 salts then, I'm doing a water change and figured it would be a good time to change over.

oh and THANK YOU everyone for all your help in the salt decision, I really really do appreciate it! =)

Ok I just got Oceanic to call me back. They say you should have your 5 gallon bucket full of water and then add your salt to the bucket. I was putting the salt in an empty bucket and then adding 5 gallons of water. She said that would cause you mix to precipitate thus the cloudiness. I`ll try it and see if that helps.

Ok I just got Oceanic to call me back. They say you should have your 5 gallon bucket full of water and then add your salt to the bucket. I was putting the salt in an empty bucket and then adding 5 gallons of water. She said that would cause you mix to precipitate thus the cloudiness. I`ll try it and see if that helps.
it did it to me when the water was in there first :( i even had a powerhead already running and was adding the salt slowly

Good to know. I use Oceanic and love it. It dissolves completely and my calcium stay above 400. Even if I miss a water change (it happened once, ok). But I too put salt in then the water. So I will try it the other way just in case.

Back
Top Bottom