Molies and puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mojo3251

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a dalmatian Mollie and was wondering if they go good to gether

What type of puffer? I would assume dwarf puffers because they are the only fw puffer. If so then no, puffers are very aggressive and should be a species only tank. However, you may get lucky with your setup. Just monitor them closely and remove one if they get violent.

Molly have a slight chance if the tank is big enough. If its too small, the F8 will end up killing the molly.

Not a good idea though unless you have some money to play with :)

Hello,

A molly wouldn't be the best choice as a tankmate. Eventhough it can handle brackish (actually thrive), it would be aggressively nipped by the Figure 8 Puffer.

It's a 10 gallon rank lots of hiding places and the molly is really fast , it took 10 min to get him out at the pet store

Hello,

A 10 gallon is way too small to be holding both a Figure 8 Puffer and a Molly.

The puffer, getting around 5 inches, needs at least a 30 gallon tank by itself.

The molly, being one of the biggest livebearers, get around 4-5 inches and need at least a 20 gallon tank

I would recommend you either get a bigger tank for the puffer and a seperate tank for the molly, or returning them for other fish

Hello,

A 10 gallon is way too small to be holding both a Figure 8 Puffer and a Molly.

The puffer, getting around 5 inches, needs at least a 30 gallon tank by itself.

The molly, being one of the biggest livebearers, get around 4-5 inches and need at least a 20 gallon tank

I would recommend you either get a bigger tank for the puffer and a seperate tank for the molly, or returning them for other fish
im pretty sure mollys need 30 gals,but either way you got rep

A 10 gallon is, sadly, much too small for either of those fish. I would suggest returning them to the shop from which you bought them, and not listening to their advice in the future.

30gal is big enough for 2 F8, which will grow to 3inch. Trade in your F8 please.

Hey all, i thought i would comment on the matter since i have a 40gal tank with a FG8 and a couple black mollies... i have had the fish for about a year now with no issues. No nipping or fighting. In fact, the 2 mollies have been happy enough to breed a few times together and have produced healthy off spring that have been brought up in a breeding net. Although i have had success, it has only been for a year, and Figure 8's temper can change over time. I have several figure 8's in different tanks and they all have their own personality. One fig 8, which is at least 4 years old now, is fully grown and even though he has his own 35 gallon tank, he will not let me put anything in with him. He nipps at anything i try and add and i have come to the realization that he just wants to be alone lol. To be honest, i would recommend trying it IF you had a larger tank. Unfortunatly, like everyone else has said, 10 gals are much to small for F8P or a mollie. If you are set on puffers, try dwarf puffers! i have a tank with them and they are amazing fish. i would suggest 2-3 DP's for a 10 gal.

Back
Top Bottom