Mollie Gender Inequality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skai

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I might have an issue with the ratio of my female to male mollies. I wasn't aware of how to tell the difference between the two when I got my Gold Panda and my Creamsicle Lyretail Mollies. Upon noticing some slight differences in the fins I decided to look it up to see if it was a gender thing. Turns out it is and from what I'm seeing and reading I think I might have three males and one female of both kinds of Mollies and apparently this is the complete opposite of what it should be?

Question is, considering I'm pretty much at my limit of fish for the size tank I have what should I do? I do have a ten gallon tank I could move some fish to but I'm not sure if moving the extra males would be the way to go or if I should move out the females or if it's not even a problem at all if I change something in my current tank. I'm not really looking to breed them I just don't want them to be in a situation that is going to lead to them fighting each other or pestering the females.

Any Mollie owners have any ideas on how to resolve this issue before it gets to be a serious problem?

Mollies I find are fairly sedate and the females don't get too harassed.

I prefer 1 male to 4 females so either give them away or pick carefully at the store.

Mm, well, do you happen to know how mollies are with all one gender? I imagine it would eliminate the issue entirely. As it is right now I don't know anyone who keeps fish near me so next time I'll definitely look closer.

They should be OK. I've never done it but can't think of any problems. Sometimes a pair of male mollies just won't get along - a bit of pot luck.

If the mollies are all female you should be good if they're all males you'll be fine for a while but eventually they'll start harassing the other fish

Sent from a pelipper

Agreed ^ I would keep all females. I have done that with mollies and platies, and the girls don't tend to fight amongst themselves. The males however, are a different story...

This is a 35 gallon Hexagon but there's also currently also black skirted tetras in there which is why I'm not planning on adding more fish as I'm pretty much full up in the tank

Back
Top Bottom