Mollies' behaviour: locked lips, tail wagging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've recently added 4 Balloon mollies to one of my tanks. Absolutely love them, got them on 23rd December and there were babies on Christmas morning - typical store bought LB'ers :D.

I have 3 females and 1 male and they're the first mollies I've kept. I've picked 4 colourful ones, all different and I'm really enjoying just watching them. Mollies, Platy's and Guppies are often lumped together as easy fish to keep but I'm glad to see that Mollies certainly don't ACT like guppies: IE the male doens't badger the female for sex all-day every-day.

However I'm not sure about the following behaviour I've observed and I'm just curious to know if it's normal or if it's something else.

When I was feeding them yesterday, two of the females began engaging in what looked like aggressive behaviour: chasing, lip-locking and tail-banging/wagging. The first is pretty common among all fish, the second was bizarre: they faced head on and were getting their lips stuck together, and the 3rd was even more hilarious as the one being chased was angled towards the bottom of the tank and was using her tail to - I assume - hit the other female.

Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom