Molly exhibiting strange behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dalmatian Molly swimming an inch to 5 inches off the gravel in the same spot. She has been in this same area of my 10g tank all day. The other 3 fish are perfectly fine. My Molly has been acting out of sorts for 3 days now and the 10-15% water change and stress coat have not seemed to help.

Hi there,

What other fish are those?
Is the tank cycled?
What are the water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, and are you using strips or a liquid kit to test this?
Does it have a filter?
How often do you do water changes?
Do you add conditioner to your water?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hi there,

What other fish are those?
Is the tank cycled?
What are the water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, and are you using strips or a liquid kit to test this?
Does it have a filter?
How often do you do water changes?
Do you add conditioner to your water?

Yes, the tank is cycled.

2 tequila sunrise guppies
1 dalmatian molly
1 silver molly

Ammonia zero. Nitrite zero. Nitrate 10. Ph level is high at 8.3, but every LFS has told me that's common for our area. I'm using test strips. The only chemicals I've had in our stress coat yesterday with a water change, stress zyme 6 days ago, and a ph tablet.

And yes, I have a filter. Also, no live plants in my tank.

To sum the whole situation up, this was my post earlier.

My Molly has been either at the bottom of the tank or at the top. She just sits there and keeps to herself. She eats sometimes, and swims/floats sideways. No signs of disease nor pregnancy...yet. Water parameters are all good, but high ph at 8.3 which all the pet stores say is normal for our city. I don't know what's going on. Silver female Molly is starting to bump into the Dalmatian. My 2 tequila sunrise guppies are fine and only follow eachother. Did a water change and nothing has changed. Added stress coat with it and I've put in a ph tablet to get the ph level down, and that too hasn't changed. Fish have been in the tank for 5 days. It's a 10 gallon tank. Any thoughts or ideas of what's going on?

Hey again,

Test strips are reputable for inaccuracy. When the LFS tested my water with test strips, they said I had a pH of 6.4, .5 ammonia, and 0 nitrites and nitrates last time I went. When I checked with the liquid test kit, pH was 7.6, 0 ammonia and nitrites, and 20-40 ppm nitrates, and I tested it twice. You could be guessing basically with strips. JME.

Do the Stress Coat and Stress Zyme nuetralize ammonia, cholrine and chloramines and other harmful stuff from tap? I'm not familar with the product.

Also, those pH tablets could be killing your fish. Those things not only cause rapid and massive pH swings, which can shock and kill your fish, but release harmful chemicals that can kill fish as well. Your fish might be shocked and poisoned from them. IMO leave your pH as is. Especially with those fish. They're hardy and thrive in that pH.

Also, how did you cycle?

The API master freshwater test kit us so expensive, but you're right, strips can be inaccurate.

Stress Chat and Stress Zyme do exactly what you said. The Stress Coat has aloe in it to protect/heal fish. As for the cycle, when I set my tank up, I didn't do the normal fishless cycle. I added Stress Zyme to take out the harmful metals, chlorine and such. I let my tank sit about 3 days before I added fish. Tested the water morning and night each day. Everything was fine. I know its not the right way to set up a tank, but quite frankly, everything I read seemed way too in depth and complicated. If there's anything to help my Dalmatian Molly, let me know. Thank you.

The tank doesn't sound cycled. IMO three days is not enough to establish the tiniest bit of a good bacteria colony, unless you had lots of seeded media. How often do you do water changes?

If this was a normal situation, I would say she is pregnant, as that's what mind did. However in this case I would think she is poisoned by some toxins and chemicals in the tank.

Yes, they're expensive kits. But cost effective and cheaper in the long run. Think about it:
API Liquid Test Kit. 23$. Buy it once, and it lasts you two years with over 700 tests.
Test strips. 5-10$. Replace them every month because you use them so fast, and if not replace them because they're inaccurate. In the same two years, you've spend 120-240$ alone on test strips!!!!

What do you mean by seeded media? Sort of new to all of this. Sorry :(

That kit is $33 here, but nevertheless, worth it in the long run like you mentioned.

I have to add in here that the mollies are too big/active/messy for a 10g tank IMO. Honestly, a big part of your problem is probably the fact that the mollies need to be able to swim around more. Another likely factor is bad stock. Some fish you get from petstores are rather unhealthy, so they do not always last long once you get them home. Its an unfortunate truth.
You should read the stickies in the getting starting section about fish-in cycling. I agree with bruinsbro about your tank not being cycled.
In the meantime, the best thing you can do your pet is to do daily pwc and get the better test kit like bruinsbro said. Sorry to sound harsh, but it would better if you returned both mollies and got fish who are better suited for a 10g tank IMO. There are some really awesome smaller, pretty species who thrive in a 10g and make awesome, personable little pets. :)
Seeded media just means a filter cartridge that has been in a cycled tank and been able to build up a colony of the beneficial bacteria that neutralize ammonia/nitrite.

Thank you guys for your input. I greatly appreciate it. I'll properly cycle my next tank I set up.

FYI, the fw master test kits are about $10 cheaper than the big chain stores on amazon. And you should consider getting some prime or amquel plus as a water conditioner to help neutralize ammonia & nitrites in addition to chlorine & heavy metals in your tap. If, after reading the links on fish-in cycling you are unsure or not clear about anything, please ask & we will help!

She died today. The others are all healthy. Bad fish from the pet store I assume :(

I'm in MN, twin cities.. I have 24-28 mollies, black and Dalmatian that need homes, they wee born a few months ago ... for 8 more babies that were born today by a different female :)

rreekers said:
I'm in MN, twin cities.. I have 24-28 mollies, black and Dalmatian that need homes, they wee born a few months ago ... for 8 more babies that were born today by a different female :)

Lol I'm in Indiana now, so Minn isn't all that close. If I was in Michigan still, I'd probably buy a few off ya lol. I'm gonna do some research and put something exotic that hardly anyone has, in my 29g. Lol, I just don't know what yet.

let us know what kind of fish you deside to get! :) we are always interested, and pictures are awesome.. just make sure that they are suitable for that size tank

Back
Top Bottom