Molly Fry Disappearing!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollyfry21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is a run down of my situation. (Bare with me)

My black molly (who passed) gave birth to 11 molly fry who I have raised for about 1 month and 2 weeks.
During the course of this time the fry were doing fine and have the 15 gallon tank all to themselves. I went on vacation (for a week) and came back to only 7.
I was confused because there were no trace of the other 4. I have a Hob filter covered with panty hose (lol) so they don’t get sucked in. My water levels were fine and I still didn’t understand.

Last night I had six left and came back to check on them the next day to see five left this afternoon?? I fed them and decided to watch a little closer to see one of the fry chasing the rest??

I’m not sure what to do? :(

Is there any other full grown fish in the tank? I have mollies in a 40 gal community tank and iv seen some of my other fish in there chasing and trying to eat the fry and have had fry dissappear a few times I assume the other fish got them and ate them

No, there are only the 5 fry left to themselves in a 15 gal.
There seems to be 1 barely larger than the rest that chases them around.

What are the water parameters?

I would do a couple back to back water changes, One right after the other and see how they are and get water tests done one of the water before and one after the water changes to see how safe the levels in the water are.

There could also be the possibility that they jumped out. Specially if your fish tank doesn't have a lid! Check the area around the tank just in case to see if they're in the ground - Fish disappearing mysteriously is really weird

I use tetra easy strips that about 1-2 a day or every other day just to make sure the levels are fine. Here are the results:

Nitrate: Safe
Nitrite: Safe
Hardness: Hard
Chlorine: Ideal
Alkaline: 8.4

I thought of that possibility as well but the tank is fully covered. However, in case they did I checked the floor at the time they disappeared and found no remains.

I have 4 spongebob seaweed decorations and gravel.
(I will take a picture)

I also did a small water change to see if there were any remains left in the gravel but found none. So, I assumed they maybe ate it?

Hopefully they are just hiding!!! :)
I cant think of another reason for them to just disappear like that!! Unless there was a bigger fish! But just MAYBE the slightly bigger one is harassing the others to the point that they pass away?? I've never really heard of that but that's the only other explanation I can think of, unless they are just REALLY REALLY good at hiding! (Which is in their nature! So could be!��)
Best of luck!! :)

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom