Molly genetics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't own any mollies but this question came to me while in the shower this morning (lol)...

Are dalmation mollies produced by crossing (breeding) black mollies with white mollies? Or are they an entirely different strain, such that the only way to have dalmation molly babies is by breeding dalmation males with dalmation females? Anyone know?

they are a cross breed of black and white. however, two dalmations can produce all black, all white, or more dalmations. even sometimes marbles or oranges if they carry an orange gene.

originally, mollies were green...and tehy are green in the wild (you can find wild mollies in the st. johns river in florida, in the brackish areas)

thanks for the info. Seems to me green mollies would be pretty cool looking...

On a related issue: I wondered what people thought of the levels of molly breeding at the minute? It could just be my area, but the three large LFSs where I live stock mollies all the time (as a good beginner fish I suppose). But, the quality of them is increasingly declining: some of them have hunches, some have bent tails etc. They all seem over/in-bred to me.
I wondered if anyone else had noticed this problem 'across the Pond' and what people thought of it?

Do you think that overbreeding/inbreeding is a problem now with this fish?

i think mollies have become seen as "common" and therefore less appealing. I don't think people intentionally breed interesting, healthy strains of mollies anymore, because it is seen as simple...a "starter" fish.

However, I have recently become very interested in breeding them, and i just bought 12 to add to my current stock of 2, in various colors and finnage. I want to see if i can come up with some interesting, healthy babies. For myself.

A lot of LFS's around here don't even bother stocking mollies, especially the aquarium only stores, as they don't sell anymore.

It is a real shame, if you ask me. They are beautiful, colorful, entertaining, hardy, versitile fish

Yes, I've seen that 'strain' but my main concern is with the quality of strains which are not supposed to look like that! For example, black mollies that have 'balloon molly' qualities (hunches, bloated looks, etc.). I think it's like fishypeanut said: perhaps b/c it's 'only a starter fish' that breeders arent so bothered about the quality anymore.

I really like that you're getting into breeding them FP: maybe if more people do, and do so seriously, the quality (and health!) of the stock will improve eventually :)

Back
Top Bottom