molly swimming funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed yesterday that one of my mollies is swimming funny. He's kind of tilted slightly upward as he swims and seems to use his whole body to swim constantly, not just his fins. This looks very strange. He doesn't look unhealthy and he still has his appetite. He doesn't hide either and still swims all over the tank. What could be wrong? Thank you.

I am not really sure, but I asked this same question on google and never found an answer. I have 2 fancy mollies that do the exact same thing and then they do this circle "dance" with each other. I don't know if it some mating thing or what.

I had a serpae tetra that did that. I searched everywhere, he appeared to have a natural deformity. One day he straightened out but unfortunately died shortly after. He lived for 5 months swimming like that. No idea to this day what it was.

Hmm, very weird. I haven't really freaked out about it because he seems to be okay, just looks a little awkward. It's been 2 days, I'll keep an eye on him and maybe he'll straighten out.

One of my danios is doing this too, swims on a 45 degree angle sideways, uts funny looking i must say, and he is still eating so im not worried.

I personally believe that Mollies are very prone to diseases if not kept in a brackish environment.

What are your water parameters? How often do you do water changes with a good vacumming of the gravel?

water parameters: ammon - 0, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 10, pH 7.6. I do a pwc with vacuuming when the NO3 hits 15 to 20.

I also have a serpae that is doing the same thing, I put him in QT a few weeks ago.

His color and body looks fine and he still eats but he is swimming almost vertical now.

Back
Top Bottom