Molly swimming in circles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
My male molly constantly keeps swimming in circles, up and down.
Any ideas what this might mean?
Can it be stress?

Would love some help thanks

Somykidswantedanaquarium said:
Sounds like whirling disease :( you need to separate it from your other fish if it dies in your tank it can spread here is a pretty good link to check out
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/molly-spinning-around-its-head-32136/
Good luck :/

But my molly isn't going around in circles like a barrel it's just swimming like its full of energy and wants to swim in circles from the bottom of the tank and up. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it's that.
Can it be anything else?

What size tank is it? Are there any other strange behaviors? Is he swimming right side up and fine? Does he have full control of his movements or is it more sporadic?

What size tank and what other fish are in there? What's the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings? How long has the tank been set up? More info will let us help you better ;)

tamtam said:
What size tank is it? Are there any other strange behaviors? Is he swimming right side up and fine? Does he have full control of his movements or is it more sporadic?

My tank is 15gal with 3 mollies, 5 neon tetras, 1 more fish but I forgot what it's called.

And That seems to be the only weird behavior he is doing. And he is swimming right side up and fine and has full control of his movement.

librarygirl said:
What size tank and what other fish are in there? What's the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings? How long has the tank been set up? More info will let us help you better ;)

Again the tank is 15gal and the fish are 2 mollies 5 neon tetras and another I can't remember it's name.
I tested it and they are just right(I did the strips). It's been set up for 5 months and I just did a water change on the 12th.
If you need more info tell me! :)

Back
Top Bottom