Moneywort roots on stem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We’re new to the planted tank area so we hope we’re doing this right. We got some moneywort from our LFS. There’s a hunch of thready things off the stems. They’re not white, more of a light green in color. Are these roots? (See pic). If so, how do we propagate these?
IMG_0901.jpg

They are roots. The more light the roots get they will change color. White to green to some of them being red. To propagate these simply cut just above where any of the leaves come out. A new stem will sprout where you cut. Replant the top you cut off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.... I am not sure what you mean where the leaves come out.... Do you mean any leave below any of the roots, and cut right at that edge above a leaf?

Honestly you can just cut anywhere. I am talking where leaves come out of the stem. They are called nodes. Cut just above any set of leaves.

IMG_0901.jpg Seems every node on this stem has new roots... I don't even know where to trim. How long can they go with roots hanging like that? Is there a time limit as to how soon after seeing roots one should cut / replant?

Was following up to response from @goatnad

Trim at any node where leaves or roots come out. You can trim only the roots off the stem as close to where they come out of each stem but they will continue to grow back. Those roots will last forever until they are cut off or die off. One reason these might be growing roots like this is because you planted so many stems close together and now this one stem is reach for more nutrients. Always spread you stems out by 1\2" at least when planting them. And for your last question the answer is no. Don't trim and replant stems just because you see these roots. You trim plants to propagate, clean them up, shape them, or remove them.

Back
Top Bottom