Mono Angelfish was attacked. Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know Monos are brackish water fish but I bought a pair and put them with my African Cichlids. They were with cichlids in the pet store. At first when introduced cichlids didn't touch them but after a while one of my fish started to bully them. I removed that fish from tank. Everything become normal and I left for dinner. After a while I came back and saw my Kenyi cichlid which was very peaceful before was nipping and attacking Monos. I immediately removed Kenyi from tank. Its normal situation now.

But, damaged have been done. Monos shiny silver skin looka rough and one of the mono has her back fin nipped.

My question is that if they aren't bullied anymore will the rough skin become normal again itself? They aren't looking as beautiful as I bought them. Skin becomes rough not shiny and plane. Please help if it will heal and recovery itself or is the damage is permanent?

Thanks.

I'll answer the question first that yes as long as they aren't bullied they will recover.

Now onto the second part which is much more important. Did you do any research? African cichlids are not found in brackish water with the exception of a couple species, none of which are rift lake species. Monos are a non aggressive brackish fish which generally live in full marine environments when fully grown. They have no business in an African cichlids tank.

I saw people keeping them with cichlids successfuly. I alsobread they can spend years in freshwater and stay healthy. The shop from where I bought had these in freshwater and few in marine water. He said as long as they aren't introduced to brackish or marine they can stay healthy and live nicely in freshwater.

Now they are not bullied. I am planning to have a brackish water tank in near future with green spotted puffers and Monos in mind. But for now I can keep them in freshwater I hope.

Thanks for ur advise. I may switch to complete mono angel community tank very soon because I love this fish.

Please also let me know what are better tank mates for Monos? I have seen people have them with fish like blood parrot and arowanas and Oscars and they doing fine. I am very confused

Back
Top Bottom