more filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ripvanrina

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi I have a very old aquaclear 150 on a 25gallon tank with angel hair and carbon. I was told that i definitely needed a filter upgrade but does that mean I should just get a brand new filter, or to add something else to what i already have?
I'm cycling the tank so i have no fish yet

and also people around here seem very concerned with the gph-is there a rule for how many gph filtration is needed for a 25gal tank?

Alot of people reccomend at least 5 times the tank capacity per hour, so you need ant least 125 GPH. If you like biowheels( I do), check out a marineland 170. Thay are about $ 21.00 from Big Als. :D

IMO you'll be fine with that filter - as long as you don't overload the tank with fish. If you get a heavy bioload you'l probably want more filtration.

Whether to replace your filter or get another to run together is really up to you. Having two is nice for redundancy, and you can leave one running while you're cleaning the other.

it's up to you but a lot of people go way past 5 times per hour if the tank size allows it(not too much current). if you get an aquaclear mini or penguin mini then that'll put you right at 10 times per hour which is what i usually shoot for. if you have 2 filters it'll also make things a little easier because while you're cleaning 1 the other one is still running and you can alternate from week to week. dont aquaclears have flow control? if they do then you could even get a larger one and turn the flow down.

Back
Top Bottom