More Like Starting Over than Getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbieg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I'll make this as short as possible.

What I have:
55 gallon freshwater tank, established for almost 15 years
Inline heater, 78 degrees
UV sterilizer
Fluval 304 canister filter
Current USA Orbit 48", 4 x 65 watt
Several anubias and a few java ferns
Two large silver dollars and 4 rainbows
Enough BBA to choke a shark

The tank came with normal 48" flourescent lights, but I wanted something brighter. Before the Orbit light, tank was VERY dark, all plants grew like crazy, there was no algae. Since I replaced the light with the Orbit, 5 years ago, tank still isn't very bright, most plants die, and all I've done is fight algae. I've gradually cut back on my lighting, and I'm now down to 4hrs/day. I haven't added any fish in a long time because I'm almost to the point of getting rid of the tank, but I'd rather fix it.

All I want:
Happy fish
No black brush algae
Something pretty to look at; my blue rainbows could be any gray fish. I want lighting that shows them off like sunlight does.

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much for your help,
Debbie

I know this is going to sound strange but the problem may be too much light, try taking out half the bulbs from the orbit and see what happens plants need lower levels of light over long hours to grow and algae can grow like crazy under very bright light for a short amount of time, I have the current eclipse with one plant grow light and one 10k daylight over my planted tank and everything has been going well for several years

Thanks Cardex,
I'll try that for the algae/plant problems and address the tank brightness later.
Debbie

You may want to try some led moon lights as well

Get a couple led moon lights they work like spot lights and even with the big lights on they make for a shimmer affect on the water fluorescent lights are very defused and provide a very even uniform light that's why they are great for plants but the iridescent scales need variation in the light before they show off properly

Back
Top Bottom