Moss Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long do they generally last? I have had mine in since the fishless cycle and now two months with the fish in cycle with my betta. It seems to thrive and stay spoofed out . I do my weekly water changes and leave it in. I don't take it out and rinse it in taken out water. So I was just curious if it seems healthy .

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of moss is this? Like java moss? Or the moss balls that are sold in the cups?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Moss balls sold in cups at petsmart.

Should I take it out weekly and squeeze it in tank water taken out.

Moss balls

I have several moss balls sized from 1/2 inch to 2 inches. On my weekly water change I always rinse and squeeze them out in tank water that's been removed, them roll them back in a perfect ball in my hands. I've been told they grow slowly by my LFS, so that's what I believe. They haven't grown at all in the 6 months I've had them, but they still look pristine. They're a great landing place for food for my Amano Shrimp, which HAVE GROWN like monsters because they eat like pigs, I assume. Ditto for my Cardinal tetras. Not so for my Endlers, and that's okay. I should add that out of 12 Cards, 3 are still tiny, and of the 18 Amanos, probably 4 are still wimpy...survival of the fittest.

I have 4 that are each about 5-6 inches across. If they are the giant Marimo balls, like mine, they will get big. I have never taken mine out or squeezed them. They stay a beautiful deep dark green. The shrimp love them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That sounds awesome never heard of any getting big at all. I thought they maxed out at like 3 inches. Out of curiosity could you post a pic?

29g Community

3g Betta

Sure. The ones at Petsmart do look tiny. I bought mine at a lfs and I think mine are the giant variety. They also sell them on Amazon. I paid $8 for each of mine. Let me find a pic.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428815937.508990.jpg
Don't you dare judge the girly theme! Lol. This is my daughter's tank. The ball is almost as big as the house, and this is my smallest ball.

Here is another one (my son's tank). I don't have a pic of the biggest one.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428816314.012582.jpg

That's still double what I've ever seen! That's awesome! I totally want one now! Do they just grow larger or multiply? Or can you attach them to things or do they just float?

29g Community

3g Betta

I love them too! And in person they look really pretty and soft. They basically just sit on the substrate. If you have a strong current they will roll around. Otherwise, they sit still in one place. They don't float. Amazon has them!

They grow larger. I think they also multiply by splitting, but mine haven't done that.

Please don't squeeze them. I had a beauty which was the nsize of a baseball and it was fine then people said to squeeze and after a few times of squeezing it cracked then eventually fell apart.

I left it in pieces for over a year hoping it would grow back into a circle or something but no, it didn't die either. So I read about people attaching it to DW and tried the DW thing. It worked alright but eventually I had a pH crash and lost them.

Now I got a handful of tiny ones from a lfs a couple years back and they were the size of a small marble or a couple a little smaller. After 2-3 years they are the diameter of a quarter and a little larger I use a chop stick to push them around occasionally to help them stay round.

Here are a couple pics.

This is a big one I had, lower left corner. Floating one on an anchor had a foam cor with Java moss covering it, not the same as a Marimo Moss Ball
60074-albums9764-picture37575.jpg

3/14 you can see one of them
60074-albums9764-picture65859.jpg

6/14 here are the moss balls about half grown to now
60074-albums9764-picture66914.jpg

3/15 Here the same 2 Marimo Moss balls are floating. Rally had grown. They were given supplemental lighting when my light fixture wasn't working properly in my 6.6G Edge tank, and floated!!

60074-albums9764-picture68450.jpg

Here is a bowl/jar scape and note the tiny one in the front...The wood as 2 pieces laid over it center and to the rear side.
60074-albums12102-picture55171.jpg

I do cup them in my hand and lift my hand above the tank and let the water drain out every once in a while like every few months or more and then set it back where I want it.. Shrimp love them and keep them really clean - Amano and dwarf shrimp.

Lower left corner ~3 inches this one has appx doubled in size.
60074-albums13090-picture68690.jpg

60074-albums13090-picture68697.jpg

Last edited:
I took mine out and put it the bucket of tank water then I gently squeezed it. A lot of stuff or more turning the water dirty I then put it back with a little squeeze to keep from floating . I really think I should of left it alone because I started with it in my fishless cycle and it has lots of biological media inside it plus my levels are always right on when I use my test kit . I do believe it eats up the bad to keep the water clean. Once in a while my beta attacks it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom