mouth malady?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazy4fids

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently started doing maintenance on my chiropractors 46 gallon bow front freshwater community. While observing her fish tonight after doing a water change, I noticed that a couple of her fish have something going on.
She has an otocinclis and a couple of marble hatchets that have what looks to be like fine white granules on their lips. Kinda like what your lips would look like if you licked your lips and then stuck them in a sugar bowl.
We have relatively hard water here in River Falls WI. The pH is 7.2, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Before water change nitrate was 60, after a 50% water change, it was 10.
This tank has 4 juvenile angels, 8 pristella tetras, 8 marble hatchet fish, 4 ghost cats, 3 blue leopard danios, 5 bronze cories, 1 dojo loach, 1 clown pleco and 1 mystery snail, and the 1 oto. All the fish are acting normal and eating.
The tank is filtered by a Penguin BioWheel 350. The tank has been set up for over a year. They have not noticed the white lips, it isn't very noticeable unless you are looking for it. I will see if I can get a pic of it and add it.
I have never seen this before. It doesn't appear to be cotton mouth or mouth fungus.
I will probably stop back tomorrow and check on them. Contemplating bringing them home and putting them in a quarantine tank.

Thoughts anyone?

To me that does sound like the bacterial infection - cotton mouth. You could try QT, treat for fungus (or bacterial as well) and if no improvement in 5 days, shift to bacterial treatments.

Not sure if these pics help. The white is only on the mouth. Is not fuzzy at all.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418943602410.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418943602410.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 69
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418943619472.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418943619472.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 61
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418943632602.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418943632602.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 62
No worries - the cottonmouth I had was fairly smooth and not very fuzzy. Been any change in tank lately? Temp?

If the quality of maintenance before you took over was poor I wouldn't turn to meds just yet. I would continue to keep water clean and maintain the filter media. I would also do a gravel vac and start feeding a quality fish flake. If there is no improvement in say 2 weeks I would then go down the meds route.

Quarantining and dosing meds is stressful for a fish that may already be stressed. Simple improvements in tank husbandry may be all that is required. Just a thought :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom