Moving 29g tank, new water is from a well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I originally set up my tank about 3 months ago before I knew I was going to be moving. My PH is about 8.0-8.1 currently. My only fish is a betta in a 29 with some plants. I did a fishless cycle for a month and added him with no problems, always 0.0 for ammonia and nitrites, with low nitrates below 20 ppm.

The new place is running on a well, should I test anything before moving day? I have the APi master test kit that includes PH and high PH along with Amm/NO2/NO3. Are there other test kits to buy that are important such as KH/GH? I am a novice in all regards.

I also have an empty 55 gallon from craigslist that I may look into using as an angelfish tank down the road. When I choose my substrate for that tank, does it matter if my well water is soft or hard?

:D

marsh said:
I originally set up my tank about 3 months ago before I knew I was going to be moving. My PH is about 8.0-8.1 currently. My only fish is a betta in a 29 with some plants. I did a fishless cycle for a month and added him with no problems, always 0.0 for ammonia and nitrites, with low nitrates below 20 ppm.

The new place is running on a well, should I test anything before moving day? I have the APi master test kit that includes PH and high PH along with Amm/NO2/NO3. Are there other test kits to buy that are important such as KH/GH? I am a novice in all regards.

I also have an empty 55 gallon from craigslist that I may look into using as an angelfish tank down the road. When I choose my substrate for that tank, does it matter if my well water is soft or hard?

:D

I have a small angel in a 30g and I haven't done anything to adjust my water params at all. Even angels can adjust to certain water params as long as they are constantly steady. Chances are your water params will be similar to your fish store if your in the same town. And my angel has thrived. It's color has gotten more vibrant, it's growing and doing very well. Stability is more important than trying to keep changing water params.

Thanks. Will my Betta be okay with drip acclimation even if the well water is a big shift in ph?

I moved to a new county and I am in an agricultural area from a municipal one before.

marsh said:
Thanks. Will my Betta be okay with drip acclimation even if the well water is a big shift in ph?

I moved to a new county and I am in an agricultural area from a municipal one before.

Oh I didn't realize it was moving from city to country. Gotcha. Would you happen to have another tank you might could acclimate the betta in? Or a large container that you could run a filter on? I hope this makes sense... I would acclimate the betta on a much larger scale than how you acclimate in the bags they come in from the pet store. I would acclimate in a smaller sized tank or a large container. There may not be such a big difference in params as you think, I would test water from municipal area and write it down somewhere then once you get moved test the well water and compare params. Just acclimate slowly and watch your fishes behavior.

The good news is I have a set of keys to both homes for the rest of the month. I may pick up the 55 gallon tomorrow, but regardless I have 2 sets of everything essential like heaters, filters and a 12 gallon hospital Tupperware tank.

Edit: I'm going on a trip to the country home tonight, should I bring home a few gallons of "well water" for a 15% WC which I was doing anyway (after testing and treating the new water with prime and retesting)?

marsh said:
The good news is I have a set of keys to both homes for the rest of the month. I may pick up the 55 gallon tomorrow, but regardless I have 2 sets of everything essential like heaters, filters and a 12 gallon hospital Tupperware tank.

Edit: I'm going on a trip to the country home tonight, should I bring home a few gallons of "well water" for a 15% WC which I was doing anyway (after testing and treating the new water with prime and retesting)?

Actually I think that would be a good idea. It would help start the acclimating and you could continue it little by little giving the betta more
Time to get used to the params.

marsh said:

I suck at math... How many gallons would
15% be of your 29 gallon tank? If its more than a few gallons, I would only put in at max a few well water gallons.

Ok cool, I'm doing daily runs to and fro so ill grab a couple gallon jugs and add two per day for the next few days before I do a tear down.

And 15% of 30 gallons is 4.5 gallons, so about 4 gallons in a 29 with gravel

marsh said:
And 15% of 30 gallons is 4.5 gallons, so about 4 gallons in a 29 with gravel

I would think a couple gallons a day would be good.

Back
Top Bottom