Moving half way across country, how can I bring my tank with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stiffy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Right now, I live in Florida and in the next couple of months, I will be moving to Kansas. I have a 30 gal with live rock, sand, blue leg hermits, nacarius and turbo snails, a percula clown, coral bandit shrimp, 4 striped damisel, golden head sleeper goby, and a lawnmower blenny. How can i get my tank to kansas without killing any of the livestock inside? help?

Moving tanks is tricky but do-able. You're lucky you only have a small one.

My advice would be to buy a few rubbermaid tubs... siphon out your water and place it in a couple of the tubs (so you can still lift them easy enough. Scoop your sand out into a tub of its own as well.

Next, you're going to need powerheads in your water tubs to keep them aerated. Power during the journey will be the tricky part, but there are ways to go about it.

Bag your fish and maybe see if your LFS can put some pure O2 in the bag, (if they have a cylinder they use).

transport and setup again.

If it going to be a several day trip ship the fish to a LFS or sell them and buy more when you get there. A heater is another thing you will want to keep the water at temp. Coolers work better than rubber maid containers for helping with temp. And you can get a battery powered air pump for aeration instead of a powerhead. I have made long moves before and am about to make one cross country. WA to VA.

If it were me I would give the livestock to a LFS or fellow tanker in your area and just restock once you get there. Save the substrate in a five gal bucket with some water and the LR in another. You may also want to save any filter media or sponges in the water as well. Once you get to where you are going go ahead and re-establish your tank. You may need to cycle once again but using all of the LS, LR and media will certainly help speed up the process.

I'm about to move my 90 gal in a few weeks, but luckily I'm only moving about 5 hours away, and as soon as I get there I'll be setting up my tank at my brothers house, for a few weeks til I get a place, and then moving it again. I'm just gonna get two 50gal rubbermaids, one with lr and water, and the other with ls and water, bag up my fish and coral, and go. Good luck with your move

for power on the trip you can just get an inverter so you can plug your AC appliances into your cig lighter socket.
DC to AC

they range from about 70 watts to 400+

I second the inverter. Just remember that not all vehicles have constant power to the outlet, so if youre not somehow driving straight through (with a buddy, etc as a backup driver) you will have to bring your stuff into the hotel with you. With the summer heat, the stuff will get real hot, real quick.

Back
Top Bottom