Moving house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Misha111

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So the good news is that I am only moving 30 minutes away. i just need to know people's experiences of moving a tank and how they did it.

I have a well established 200 litre tall tank. It contains cardinals, harlequins, rummynose and a dwarf plec that has been in there for so long I have forgotten the name of it!! My main worry is I also have a large Angelfish who I have no idea how to catch, let alone how to move safely. Oh and there is a pair of electric blue Rams. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Misha
I am by no means an expert, but I have moved fish when I first got the tank, adopted some from a friend, and changed out my substrate. I have a number of different sized nets for different types of fish. I find that removing decor first can be helpful so that if fish start getting stressed they don't bang into anything. I drained water into either five gallon buckets or a large cooler, then netted fish and put them into the buckets. I started with the top dwellers and moved my way down through the tank. Once they are in buckets, put a lid on (especially if transporting) and don't overload with fish...use multiple if needed. Try to keep the light and movement minimal. When I set back up, I filled about half the tank with new water, put the fish in, and then dump the old tank water in the buckets in so that there's not a drastic change in parameters. I would also suggest moving decor and substrate in buckets of tank water to maintain as much beneficial bacteria as possible, same with filter pads.
I did transport an angel using a giant net, a five gallons bucket, and patience and he made it just fine.
Go slow and keep stress levels as low as you can.
I hope others can provide more tips!

Back
Top Bottom