Moving On....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning on moving my 50 gallon reef into a 70 gallon here pretty soon.

I am planning on setting up the tank,
then moving all the rock into the tank bare bottom,
then placing all my corals in buckets and scoping all the substrate out of my current tank and placing in the new tank.
Then I am going to hang all my old power filters, skimmers, and install my old sump and overflow on the new tank.
Then I am going to move as much of the water from the old tank is possible over, hopefully all 50 gallons - give or take some.
The netting all my fish and adding them back to the new tank w/ all my inverts.

Then running all my old filters and slowly adding the 20 gallons needed water to make up the difference. Any ideas on if this transfer should go well?

I would catch the fish and put them in holding buckets before you start moving the substrate. Go ahead and get the rock out so the fish can't hide, then catch the fish.

I would also siphon out the water first before moving substate to reduce cloudiness in the new set up.

Also, plan on adding about 30-40 gallons of new water as you will still have fish in buckets while you fill the new tank. This way you can get the tank somewhat cleared up and up to temp while the fish stay in temp holding. A PWC never hurts.

I just did the with a 75 to a 90. Plan on a lot of time and good luck!

HTH,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom