Moving Snails to New Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while - hope everyone is well! Anyway, I have about 25 snails that I've been growing in a ten gallon aquarium. About 10 days ago I added 8 of the largest snails to my large 40 gallon aquarium. I made sure to put them in a bag and float them in the water so there wouldn't be a harsh temperature change. However, once I added them to the tank, they were all dead within 24 hours.

What did I do wrong?

I notice there is about a six to eight degree temperature difference between the snail tank (room temperature) and my bigger aquarium (heated to about 79-80 degrees). I'm wondering if I should gradually begin heating the snail tank, so that the transfer isn't a shock to the snails' systems.

What do you think I should do? Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Have you ever treated with copper? If so then your tank is deadly to invertebrates. If you haven't treated with copper I would suggest doing a 3 hour acclimation drip. Since you have had them all die I would suggest doing one snail at a time to see if you can find a way to get them into the bigger tank alive. Another thing I might do is get another heater and slowly raise the temperature of the snail tank (1 degree a day) so as to make it not such a large temperature swing.

Another thing I might do is get another heater and slowly raise the temperature of the snail tank (1 degree a day) so as to make it not such a large temperature swing.

No, no copper treatment or anything like that, ever. Well, I did Ich treatment, but that was over a year ago and the tank has been emptied and re-cycled since then.

I was thinking of adding a heater to the snails' tank, yeah. I have a small one that should do the job.

Thanks!

.... I have bad news.... Ich treatment is deadly to snails... What kills Ich kills snails. I would be very careful and only do one snail at a time... I think you might want to look up what is required to rid a tank of copper... (from what I understand, almost impossible, when I buy a secondhand tank I even strip the silicone and re-silicone the seams)

.... I have bad news.... Ich treatment is deadly to snails... What kills Ich kills snails. I would be very careful and only do one snail at a time... I think you might want to look up what is required to rid a tank of copper... (from what I understand, almost impossible, when I buy a secondhand tank I even strip the silicone and re-silicone the seams)

What I said was that I did an Ich treatment over a year ago, and have since emptied and disinfected, and re-cycled the tank. There shouldn't be any Ich treatment left in the tank. Besides, I had snails living successfully in the tank for many months, so it's confusing why I can't get new ones to stay alive.

Okay, I'm glad to hear that :D I was worried for you. I would start by bringing the temperature up little by little. Take 1-2 weeks to bring the temperature up to the same as the other. Then try a slow drip acclamation. I would also test the two tanks to make sure that the salinity and PH are almost the same. If they are not then you should try to get the sail tank to the same over the same time.

Greenmaster, thanks for the advice - I'll start heating up the snail tank. And I do have the tests for pH and KH/GH (I think that's right) and will monitor things closely. I've grown these snails since they were just hatched, so I don't want to see them all die off. I'd like to see them be able to enjoy the large tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom