Moving tank????!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babaloo151070

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I've got to move my 70ltr tank and wanted to know if any of you had any advice on doing this.

Thanks in advance

Freddy xx

How far are you moving? Across the living room or across the country?

Keep the fish warm, keep as much of the water as possible, acclimatise properly, keep filter moist…

It's about 18 gallons so I would Drain all the water, then only keep half of it like a pwc. Put the fish in a bucket/s, keep the filter pad wet. Take out any decorations. Then get someone and move the tank off the stand, move the stand. Put the tank back on the stand. And then just add decor, water, fish, filter.

As long as the water is the same temp there's no need to acclimate them because your doing a pwc essentially.

Depending on how much gravel you have you may want to remove some of it.

The above advice is good, I'd also empty the cupboard, cover the bucket (most fish jump) and if the tank+stand are not too heavy, I'd move both at the same time.

Fishkeeper26, I have four freshwater tanks right now and every single one has different water hardness, which is different from my tap water. Between the lowest and the highest KH and GH, the difference is over 10 degrees (170 ppm), even a fraction of that difference is enough to kill some species of fish. If one normally does only small water changes, then it would not be unusual for the tap water to differ, so in case of a large water change (unless the person test their tap water and tank water and finds the water hardness very similar or identical), acclimatisation can save the lives of the fish. I'm not talking about filling the tank with new water and dripping the water into a bucket through an airline, I'm talking about filling the tank with old water, then topping up the whole tank slowly instead of just adding (say) 50% of completely different water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom