Multiple Illnesses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ginabetta017

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My betta fish has fin rot, swimmer's blatter, and velvet. I ran out and bought jungle lifeguard "all in one", and aquarium salt. the directions for the "all in one" said to turn off my filter and pull the filter out. so i did it all so directed to put one tablet for every 19L, I have a 4.50-.75 so i cut the tablets into 4's and dropped one 1/4th in the tank. what I want to know is; do I have to finish the "all in one" treatment before I start the Velvet Treatments or if I buy the Jungle Brand

Im no expert; ive kept fish for years, but not many illnesses. I recently had 4 angelfish develop an excess in slimecoat, then fin and tail rot. I ran to the angelfish forum for advice. I tried salt dips, quick cure, and melafix / pimafix....Not together. You do want to start with the least drastic measures, but our largest angel (the one least affected by the "funk") developed swim bladder and died.
You dont want to treat fish unaffected, and yoi dont want to kill your beneficial bacteria, but you dont want it to get out of control.
Is the fish alone? Our angels were in a 125 gal comm tank, so i put them in a qt and dosed with maracyn and maracyn 2. The remaining 3 are well and back in their home. I wish i eouldve started the antibiotics sooner. Are your nitrites and nitrates where they should be too? Fin rot and swim bladder can be caused by different things, but a bacterial infection is a common denominator in both diseases.
Sorry you are going through this; hope my long winded rant helps in some way.

well i think i gave him amonina poisoning... im doing salt treatments and did a 100% water change. he is now living in a cup he seems to be doing much better except now he is haveing mini freak outs. its almost like hes attacking the walls of the jar he is in. ps how do you get your levels down?? im useing distilled water no treatment drops and aquarium salt

Hello and welcome to AA.
Do you own a test kit?
What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
to bring ammonia down you need to do multiple water changes.
Do you know what cycling is?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Please read this.
The use of distilled water can prevent the tank from cycling. It is stripped of the essential buffers/minerals needed to keep pH stable and the bacteria processing ammonia. Is there a reason you're not using your tap water?
Fin rot is usually brought on by poor water conditions and a lot of the time can be cured with lots of clean water. Swim bladder can be from many different reasons. A few common reasons are poor water conditions and incorrect diet. What do you feed him?
Some info in velvet:
Velvet
Pathogen/Cause: Oodinium limneticum, Oodinium limneticum (FW) , Oodinium ocellatum (Marine counterpart)
Physical Signs: Powder-like white, grey or gold dusting on surface of fish (finer than ich, more similiar to the consistency of talc).
Behavioral Signs: Scratching against objects (skin irritation), clamped fins.
Potential Treatment: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals General Cure, Jungle Velvet Guard, also, many of the same cures for ich and other parasitic diseases will work.
Other Notes: Same warnings for treatment as with ich.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#Velvet

Last edited:
no i need to go buy a test kit :( i know im bad. im not useing tap because the bettas i have had in the past have done the best with bottled water, i think he was seeing his refection in the glass so i moved him to some Tupperware lol hes doing better now. his fin rot is almost gone along with his velvet. still has swimming blatter and i just did the pea Treatment to him. i hope he poops. if not Im going to give him a bath in Epson salt. question what kind and where would i get the Epson salt from, is it like normal people Epson salt? or stuff made for fish?

I did a salt bath on my angels, but epsom salt is used for constipation. I used NON IODIZED table salt. Use tap water with a conditiiner like Prime by Seachem or Kordons AquaPlus to bind chlorine and chloramine in tap water. The advice in the previous thread is great, and they provided an educational link on the nitrogen cycle.
Best of luck.
Salt and meds reduce oxygen levels in water, so even a beta needs air. Being in small amiunts of water may also be stressing him out a bit.

You are doing everything right just watch how much salt u add and in a couple of days he should be okay n his tail will grow back just might be a different color . I had one go from red to blue n red very weird

Ginabetta017 said:
no i need to go buy a test kit :( i know im bad. im not useing tap because the bettas i have had in the past have done the best with bottled water, i think he was seeing his refection in the glass so i moved him to some Tupperware lol hes doing better now. his fin rot is almost gone along with his velvet. still has swimming blatter and i just did the pea Treatment to him. i hope he poops. if not Im going to give him a bath in Epson salt. question what kind and where would i get the Epson salt from, is it like normal people Epson salt? or stuff made for fish?

What size is his normal tank? The more water you can get him in (within reason) the better. With more water the longer it takes for ammonia to build up. You will need to fully disinfect his tank to kill the velvet. You can try an Epsom salt bath. Watch him closely and if he tips over or has irregular breathing remove him immediately. Epson salt is magnesium sulfide and you should be able to find it at the grocery store.
Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a laxitive. It will help constipated, bloated fish pass feces (poop). You use 1 or 2 teaspoons for each 10 gallons of tank water. Disolve the epsom salt in a cup of water and pour into tank. It should work in 2 to 4 hours. You can redose after 4 hours, but if it hasn't worked in 24 hours, it probably won't work at all.

Regular salt (sodium chloride) also sold as kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt or aquarium salt is the type of salt we eat. It helps fishes gill function and will reduce fungus and bacteria at high enough concentrations. A typical dose is 1 or 2 tablespoons per ten gallon of tank water disolved in a cup and poured in tank. This treatment usually lasts a week or so.

To keep the salt concentration stable you must add more salt when you add clean water to the tank. Let's say you have removed 10 gallons of water for a water change and will be adding 10 gallons of clean water back. Add another 1 or 2 tablespoons salt to replace the salt lost through water change.

While epsom salt and regular salt are good on an occasional basis it is not good to have them in the tank all the time.
Does he have any scales protruding? He could be suffering from dropsy. Dropsy isn't a disease but a symptom of other problems including fluid build up from internal infection or organ failure.
Do you have a heater for him?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom