Mushroom lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echoplex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my first mushrooms 2 days ago. They immediately opened up and have been very responsive and healthy looking except the ones closest (6-8") to the lights have turned a little brown instead of the flourescent green they were under the LFS' halides. Are they healthy, am I sunburning them, are they sick, or maybe just acclimating?

P1010007.JPG

My lights are currently 2x110w VHO Actinic White, 2x36w NO on a 55 gal tank.
Here's the lights if you're interested http://www.whack.org/~dan/fish/P1010008.JPG

I'm not dosing any chemicals. Just RO water and Instant Ocean. My local water keeps the pH at 8.4 and hardness at about 10-14. I was considering adding some iodine and reef calcium.

Everything else in the tank is healthy, although algae growth (the fuzzy purple stuff) has dropped off a lot in the last week. I think my new bristleworm population :? is eating it or something?

So my ~300w of lighing at 6-8" is too bright?
These guys were under ~500w of MH and CF at 30" when I bought them...
doesn't seem to add up but I'll try moving them into the shade a little and see what happens.

I guess I was expecting it to be an incorrect bulb choice or water quality issue.

Could be. I wuz just trouble shooting and trying to find something to look at.

How's the water flow? Checked phosphates? I know when mine went up recently, my new corals died and the others/older ones did just fine.

do you have any acintic lights? They will look "more greenish" if you have acintic lighting, but im sure an expert will chime in shortly.-

Hehe well I guess I was being paranoid. I replaced the two older actinic white bulbs with new actinic blue bulbs, and whaddayaknow... :oops:
mushrooms-actinic-only.jpg

The brown spots are still there if I turn on the NO 10k though, so maybe I'll just drop them lower in the tank for a week and see how they do.
mushrooms-actinic+10k.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom