Musk turtles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 29 gallon tank with fish in it, and was considering converting it to house a single musk turtle and most likely later upgrade the tank size.
(I have another tank for the fish if needed)

Recommend a in tank filter?? Budget does matter at the time, but may not later.

Also could I place the in tank filter in my current fish tank and have the filter successfully cycle enough for the turtle? If so, how long would it take before I could assume its safe?

I don't have a turtle but from what I've read on here is a canister filter works best.

Do not use an internal filter there useless for turtles. Canister all the way and it needs to be able to filter at least twice your tanks capacity, I recommend at least three times.

Do not use an internal filter there useless for turtles. Canister all the way and it needs to be able to filter at least twice your tanks capacity, I recommend at least three times.

Well okay! Recommended canister filters? And how long do you think it would take the canister filter to cycle correctly if put on a pre established tank with fish currently in it?

Well okay! Recommended canister filters? And how long do you think it would take the canister filter to cycle correctly if put on a pre established tank with fish currently in it?

That will all depend on if you have media to put in the canister that's already covered in BB. You will probably encounter a mini cycle that could last a couple days to two weeks. Your best friend in a turtle tank is BB, don't waste your time with chemical filtration with the exception of purigen, amazing stuff.

That will all depend on if you have media to put in the canister that's already covered in BB. You will probably encounter a mini cycle that could last a couple days to two weeks. Your best friend in a turtle tank is BB, don't waste your time with chemical filtration with the exception of purigen, amazing stuff.

I guess what I'm asking is how can I tell? Because I would be hooking it up to a tank that is already cycled and has fish in it. I wouldn't be removing the other filter till I know the new one is cycled. Or should I not do that? And I could definitely have filter media for it.

And recommended canister filter?

I guess what I'm asking is how can I tell? Because I would be hooking it up to a tank that is already cycled and has fish in it. I wouldn't be removing the other filter till I know the new one is cycled. Or should I not do that? And I could definitely have filter media for it.

And recommended canister filter?

Ok, what type of filter is currently on your tank? Is it filled with chemical media (carbon, ammo chips, etc)? Bio media (ceramic rings)? Mechanical (sponge)? Ditch the chemical stuff if that's the case and transfer ALL your media from your current filter to the new canister. The only way to avoid a re-cycle is to do this so your filter already has media covered in BB to work with. If you want, fill a pourous media bag with ceramic rings or whatever your choice of biomedia, as well as a new sponge, and leave it your tank for a week or two so bacteria can latch itself to it. Then setup your filter and put the media from the tank in it, as well as the media from your original filter.

In my 55 gallon I have a Rena XP4(XL)-same thing. Many people also go with a high end fluval as well like a 406 or FX5 which is complete overkill for you right now. I have one waiting to be used in my 135....these all work great. Btw, your water change regimen will be much greater due to the bioload of the turtle, which outweighs fish by a long shot. So a couple times a week is best. Literally stuff your filter with biomedia to promote bacteria colony growth as it will be your best bet at keeping a clean tank naturally without using chemicals. Although, I'm a big fan of purigen which can be an excellent supplement if used properly and will further clarify your water of tannins from driftwood and any other natural impurities.

Ok, what type of filter is currently on your tank? Is it filled with chemical media (carbon, ammo chips, etc)? Bio media (ceramic rings)? Mechanical (sponge)? Ditch the chemical stuff if that's the case and transfer ALL your media from your current filter to the new canister. The only way to avoid a re-cycle is to do this so your filter already has media covered in BB to work with. If you want, fill a pourous media bag with ceramic rings or whatever your choice of biomedia, as well as a new sponge, and leave it your tank for a week or two so bacteria can latch itself to it. Then setup your filter and put the media from the tank in it, as well as the media from your original filter.

In my 55 gallon I have a Rena XP4(XL)-same thing. Many people also go with a high end fluval as well like a 406 or FX5 which is complete overkill for you right now. I have one waiting to be used in my 135....these all work great. Btw, your water change regimen will be much greater due to the bioload of the turtle, which outweighs fish by a long shot. So a couple times a week is best. Literally stuff your filter with biomedia to promote bacteria colony growth as it will be your best bet at keeping a clean tank naturally without using chemicals. Although, I'm a big fan of purigen which can be an excellent supplement if used properly and will further clarify your water of tannins from driftwood and any other natural impurities.

It's a HOB and doesn't have any chemical media. And I've never used any.

Side question: more water changes than fish??
I thought with a cycled powerful canister filter it actually keeps it cleaner despite the increased bioload. Like I'm talking about getting an ehiem canister filter approved for 150 gal and putting it on a 29 gal. With no substrate. And just the turtle in the tank no fish.
Or does it not matter?

Oh then you'll be in good shape. The problem is that turtle waste accumulates quickly and will eventually clog up any filter. Regardless of what filter I have noticed that nitrates climb quickly in my turtles tank. Especially with your 29 since it is on the smaller side. The bigger the tank the easier it is to keep clean water in the long run.

Oh then you'll be in good shape. The problem is that turtle waste accumulates quickly and will eventually clog up any filter. Regardless of what filter I have noticed that nitrates climb quickly in my turtles tank. Especially with your 29 since it is on the smaller side. The bigger the tank the easier it is to keep clean water in the long run.

Okay, that's kinda what I thought. Might get a bigger tank in the near future for this idea. But for now I think if I could just get the filter and start cycling I would be taking a step in the right direction.

Alright so I've came down to Eheim 2213 or Eheim 2215.

Do I need the 2215 or would the 2213 work just fine?

Alright I bought the eheim 2215. Should be coming in the next 3-5 days. I've started removing the gravel from my tank slowly, and I've decided to replace it with sand so I can keep the tank heavily planted I know that's gonna make it harder to clean and the turtle may eat the plants.

It comes with media any recommended order to fill the canister with?

Alright I bought the eheim 2215. Should be coming in the next 3-5 days. I've started removing the gravel from my tank slowly, and I've decided to replace it with sand so I can keep the tank heavily planted I know that's gonna make it harder to clean and the turtle may eat the plants.

It comes with media any recommended order to fill the canister with?

I'm not familiar with the eheims, but like most canisters if water flow goes from bottom to the top and back into the tank then this should be your setup
Mechanical filtration (course sponge)->Chemical Filtration (this is not needed in a turtle tank as it won't last. My ONLY recommendation is Purigen. Keeps my water crystal clear and helps keep nitrates low.)-> Bio Filtration (ceramic rings/bio balls, whatever your preference here. The objective is to provide surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize and it must be free from the gunk that should be trapped earlier in the filtration process.) This should makeup the majority of your filter trays (idk how many trays the 2215 has). Stay away from carbon/ammo chips, and any fine floss like materials as media because they are simply to costly to utilize and maintain. The setup I gave you I can guarantee will give you a crystal clear tank within 1-2 weeks. Just make sure you make consistent water changes throughout the process, it'll help big time. Oh and you can cycle with your turtle in the tank, doesn't affect them like it does fish.

I'm not familiar with the eheims, but like most canisters if water flow goes from bottom to the top and back into the tank then this should be your setup
Mechanical filtration (course sponge)->Chemical Filtration (this is not needed in a turtle tank as it won't last. My ONLY recommendation is Purigen. Keeps my water crystal clear and helps keep nitrates low.)-> Bio Filtration (ceramic rings/bio balls, whatever your preference here. The objective is to provide surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize and it must be free from the gunk that should be trapped earlier in the filtration process.) This should makeup the majority of your filter trays (idk how many trays the 2215 has). Stay away from carbon/ammo chips, and any fine floss like materials as media because they are simply to costly to utilize and maintain. The setup I gave you I can guarantee will give you a crystal clear tank within 1-2 weeks. Just make sure you make consistent water changes throughout the process, it'll help big time. Oh and you can cycle with your turtle in the tank, doesn't affect them like it does fish.

Okay! Thanks a lot!! Once it comes in I will see which media provided and follow it based on your setup.

Since I don't have the turtle and there is still fish in the tank I'm gonna cycle it with the fish for a month before introducing a turtle.

Okay! Thanks a lot!! Once it comes in I will see which media provided and follow it based on your setup.

Since I don't have the turtle and there is still fish in the tank I'm gonna cycle it with the fish for a month before introducing a turtle.

No problem good luck. With the biomedia, fill each left over tray after the mechanical and chemical (if your use purigen as mentioned) with as much bio media that will fit.

No problem good luck. With the biomedia, fill each left over tray after the mechanical and chemical (if your use purigen as mentioned) with as much bio media that will fit.

Thanks! I should be getting the filter either when I get home tonight or delivered on Monday! Either way I'm excited. I also do have purigen. I read up on it after you talked about it, and it seems to be pretty well liked and has good reviews. It's already here.. (Doesnt make sense because I ordered it much later)

Side question: I was looking into it, and it seems a lot of people have good success with keeping some quick moving fish with musks, as they don't seem to try to eat them. I'd like to try this.

Anything I should know about keeping fish with turtle? And as I said I plan on cycling the filter before adding the turtle.

Thanks! I should be getting the filter either when I get home tonight or delivered on Monday! Either way I'm excited. I also do have purigen. I read up on it after you talked about it, and it seems to be pretty well liked and has good reviews. It's already here.. (Doesnt make sense because I ordered it much later)

Side question: I was looking into it, and it seems a lot of people have good success with keeping some quick moving fish with musks, as they don't seem to try to eat them. I'd like to try this.

Anything I should know about keeping fish with turtle? And as I said I plan on cycling the filter before adding the turtle.

Cool glad to hear it. In regards to putting fish in, a general rule for turtles is anything else but the turtle is fair game lol. IME, my slider eats everything and anything that I put in there so I don't bother. A musk is not as aggressive or carnivorous I believe but don't quote me on it I'm not an expert on musks. Your best option for fish are cichlids. For quickness, go with Africans but I personally don't like mixing fish or reptiles from other sides of the world, that's just me lol. South American cichlids like a Texas or a green terror can hold their own and won't take a turtles crap. Also, some sunfish are very attractive looking and they are in a musks natural habit. I'm planning on adding some to my 135 in setting up this summer. But I wouldn't add fish unless you put the musk in a 55 or more, too much bioload on the filter. Hope this helps.

Cool glad to hear it. In regards to putting fish in, a general rule for turtles is anything else but the turtle is fair game lol. IME, my slider eats everything and anything that I put in there so I don't bother. A musk is not as aggressive or carnivorous I believe but don't quote me on it I'm not an expert on musks. Your best option for fish are cichlids. For quickness, go with Africans but I personally don't like mixing fish or reptiles from other sides of the world, that's just me lol. South American cichlids like a Texas or a green terror can hold their own and won't take a turtles crap. Also, some sunfish are very attractive looking and they are in a musks natural habit. I'm planning on adding some to my 135 in setting up this summer. But I wouldn't add fish unless you put the musk in a 55 or more, too much bioload on the filter. Hope this helps.

Well I got tiger barbs in there now that I'm gonna keep in to cycle the filter! Or perhaps a cleaner like a bristlenose pleco. I was thinking maybe some of them. If not ill just switch em to the other tank. I'll give it a shot. And let you know how it goes if you're interested in hearing about it.

I will keep you updated on when my filter is in and cycled before I get my turtle indefinitely.

Back
Top Bottom