My 40 Gallon Aquaponic Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RitztoRubble

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Everyone!

New to AA (y) so hopefully this thread isn't entirely in the wrong place.

I am relatively new to the hobby and decided I wanted a few fish, which as we know can turn out to be a major on-taking for those that have no idea what they are doing. I had experience with fish before, however they were a mix of tropical(cichlids - and Red-Tailed Sharks) plus a few more in a 5 gallon... which I was assured by some guy at the big named pet store (we won't say which pet corporation it was cough) and needless to say they all died, and I even ended up having to euthanize one.

I am only here to get some more advice and show off my latest endeavor which is a 40 g Hex Tank Aquaponic Aquarium.

I just upgraded from a 10 g which has actually yielded more basil and mint than I know what to do with.

I am starting this forum to receive additional advice and ideas for plants that will go well with those that I already have.

Hopefully in the thread I can delve into what I currently have a little further however this already seems to have gotten a little lengthier than I know most would want to read.

I hope you enjoy the pics - this site has honestly made it all possible!

Riitz

Attachments

• IMG_4908.jpg
    IMG_4908.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4911.jpg
    IMG_4911.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4928.jpg
    IMG_4928.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 87
Well... I still think you should have done a bit more research. But we are here to help:

First of all: goldfish should be by themselves. I see you mixed in some other fish (chinese danio's)? I would strongly suggest against it. Goldfish are really dirty and messy fish.
Secondly: goldfish should not be housed in a 40g. I know these are not common goldfish, but they'll still grow to decent size.
Easy plants are anubias, java fern, echinodorus species, crypts etc.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Well... I still think you should have done a bit more research. But we are here to help:

First of all: goldfish should be by themselves. I see you mixed in some other fish (chinese danio's)? I would strongly suggest against it. Goldfish are really dirty and messy fish.
Secondly: goldfish should not be housed in a 40g. I know these are not common goldfish, but they'll still grow to decent size.
Easy plants are anubias, java fern, echinodorus species, crypts etc.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Agreed. Goldfish get a lot bigger than you think and a hex tank will not do them well. Goldfish are also coldwater vs of course tropical. Stick to tropical and do some schools of smaller fish. You could do a gourami or a pair of Rams for centerpiece of you wanted.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thank you for the advice!

To grow plants in the grow bed, I have found that there should be a bit of a higher bio-load. As for the size requirements it is certainly something that I have struggled with. Goldfish are of course less than ideal for fish keeping but it is at this point what I am stuck with. Luckily my folks have a large goldfish pond so once they reach an unmanageable size they will be swapped out for smaller ones, or hopefully another fish. In the tank are also some snails/a few Ghost Shrimp which I am hoping will keep the detritus to a minimum.

Right now the plants are
Java Fern
Anacharis
Java Moss
Hornwort

Any other suggestions on relatively low light plants that could help to keep the fish happy/ levels down?

Back
Top Bottom