My 75 gallon stand with Marineland 530 canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoking

Aquarium Advice Regular
I call it my h e l l stand because I went through h e l l trying to build it. I did not have the DIY skill as many of you do. I did a ton of research on the web looking at hundreds of photos and learning how everyone else did it.

Armed with a drill and some screws I went at it not having any real clue of how to make it all work. I struggled through it, home depot is my new best friend. I half-a s s built around 4 different stands that I had to break down and do over because it wasn't level or things were just so wacked out I knew I had to redo.

Just when I was ready to give in and go buy a stand I hit it hard and made it work (well sort of). It's amazing what a box of screws can do, I wear them like a badge of honor. Things worked out better when everything was semi-level.

I used 2x4 and liquid nails. By the way I absolutely "hate" 2x4's and will never build a stand with these ever again. They are next to impossible to line up. I think doubling up 2x2 to make a semi 2x4 would be better as they are very straight all around. In the end it's about the wood, the more wood the better it will be.

It's not perfect and not completely level but it's close enough. Somehow with all the wood and screws, sweat and tears, the fish demigods were good to me and made it all happen. With the extra added weight it all evened itself out.

My advice to any other noobs looking to do your own stand (don't quit). Keep researching how others built their stands, no matter how frustrated you get, just keep going. I don't care if you have to buy 10 more boxes of screws or 20 pounds of extra wood or make 50 extra trips to home depot, don't you quit.

I have enough wood to make a work bench and another stand lol

After the tears come joy of knowing you did it :D Feels mighty **** good too lol Now I feel like I can build any stand (with real tools this time).

I'm using a Marineland 530 Canister Filter with an ETH external heater, both are fantastic. In the photo you see I have the heater beside the filter in the stand. I found a nice trick to make this work.

I only cut the hose from the intake hose, then the other long hose I left and connected it to the out take, I looped around and added the heater to the end and the left over hose from the intake I attached the heater to the out take tube. It work brilliantly. I have a thermometer on each side of the tank to keep the temp in check.

I put a sponge on the intake tube, not sure if this is necessary with a canister, I was afraid the flow might get effected but so far it doesn't appear to be.

The stand is not skinned yet, I'll be moving and wanted to wait until then to add the finishing stuff. I also wanted to experience the process of breaking down a 75 gallon for the experience.

My fish are loving it :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom