My almost self sustaining fry tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have this 10g fish tank I set up a month ago to raise GBRs. I put about 10 just free swimming GBRs. A couple days later they were all gone. I didn't think anything of it. Only thing I saw in the tank was a few snails from clipping I put in the tank. The plants grew and the snails multiples by the hundreds. One day I happened to find a rather large german blue ram. Which is weird because I never really feed that tank. A month later the the fry is still alive and the tank looks like this http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums...C-84E5-4ADA-AC41-639377BFFB4D_zpsac5wcb1m.jpg. I still don't feed the GBR. The snail population is in the 1000s. Besides a few small water changes to replace essential mineral and I will sometimes drop an algae wafer for the snails, other wise I don't do anything for the tank. The jungle of plants keep the nitrates in check. And with such small feedings I don't get any ammonia or nitrates. I don't use any chemicals and the hood is just stock with two house hold bulbs I do use a small sponge filter tho. Just felt like Sharing my experience. If any one spent there time to read all of this feel free to comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I forgot to mention. But the gbr survives by eating baby snails.

Pretty cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please excuse my ignorance but what is GBR?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. Not familiar with those.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

There is ambula, wisteria, Amazon chain sword, Amazon sword, cabomba, Crypt winditti (green), Italian Val, and rotala. There might be more I just put in random cuttings from my 55g.

I also have some type of moss that grew out of no where.

Unlikely as I have not boughten any cultures. The tank was just recently set up so wouldn't think it would contain any?

Just witnessed first hand the lonely fry eating pond snail eggs.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom