my blue tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemichris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed something on my blue tang it seems like a clear cap over his right eye only. I was wondering what it is. He also seems to be rubbing against my live rocks on his right side. please help

No other than the clear coat over his eye i dont see anything on him and my yellow tang and clown tang are fine.

I take it that from your info that you have a yellow, Blue and clown tang in a 55 gallon tank.

yes i went to the live fish shop and they told me it most likely is pop eye. PLease confirm

Liveaquaria says that a clown tang needs a minimum of 150 gallon tank. The blue tang it says needs at least 70 gallon and we know that you are ok on the yellow with a 50 gallon minimum. I would say that three tangs in a 55 is way too much. I believe you will always have problems with that combo. Just IMO

The tank is to small for 1 tang let alone three, especially with 85lbs of rock in there, basically u have like 25-30g of water when it comes down to it. You might be able to get away with just the yellow tang, but the other two have to go. And clown tangs can also be very aggressive especially towards other tangs. The eye problem is most likely bacterial. Sometimes they can shake it by themselves, but it is probably very stressed due to his tankmates so you will probably have to treat it with something. Also he will probably continue to have eye problems even after u get rid of it this time as a result of a compromised immune system due to stress.

Regal/Hippo tangs are notorious for ich. The stress of moving is all it takes. We have a huge Regal tang. About 5-6" in a 90 gallon tank. That's the only tang we have. Try nosickfish.com for ich remedy. They also have remedies for the eye problem.

It wont do any good to use an ich remedy if the fish is in a stressful situation. Three tangs in a 55 esp. those will always be a problem. Before long you will have not just ick but HLLE and viral problems. If your fish have ick you must find the problem first and then remedy it and then treat.

Back
Top Bottom