My clawed frog Francine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently, at my lps, on a whim my wife wanted a african dwarf frog. So when the attendant scoped it out, I saw one that was a little bigger and of course, "oh, can you get that one!" So we brought it home and it was living happily in its new home and then it started growing. Did a bit of research and discovered her true identity!

So it's still about 1 and half inches long but growing quickly. I've done a bit of research on my own but need some more feedback. Trying get her in her own tank in the next couple of weeks as soon it will be big enough to start going after my fish and I don't want it to get hurt or my fish to be eaten.

Can I use water from water changes to start my new tank?

Can I put medium sized rocks that I want to use in my new tank in my old tank to get some bacteria on them?

Not really positive on a certain way to do this.

What is going to be a decent quality water filter for a 20 g long with one frog in it. I'll add another if this one survives the tank change.

Any feedback is graciously accepted.

I think she's female as I can start to see that ovipositor I think it's called.

U can use water from water changes as long as you test the ammonia levels. Also when u start feeding her live fish, no gold fish or Roseys they deplete vitamin C from your frog. So guppies or mosquito fish. I used a 55 gallon and a sunsun canister filter with spray bar. It worked good. My female grew to 12 1/2 inches and ate 60-80 feeder fish a week plus shrimp pellets and bricks, blood worms and beef hearts.

12 1/2 inches that's going to be crazy! Francine is growing fast too

Most African clawed frogs don't get that big, but Hannibal did. She ate 60- 80 feeder fish a week, plus boos worms and pellet food. But she liked the fish the best. I would give her beef hearts too. I really miss her. She passed after a pet sitter accidentally poured a pitcher of bleach water in the tank by mistake. Very sad. But right now I am preparing a 55 gallon frog tank for a new family. Maybe these frogs won't eat their tank mates.

12 1/2 inches that's going to be crazy! Francine is growing fast too

African Clawed Frogs do not get 12.5 inches, in captivity they usually top out at around 6 inches from snout to vent (not including legs) and that would be considered a very large female. In the wild they are known to become much larger however, but still not anywhere near 12.5 inches.

I have three adult clawed frogs which are over 1 year old and they are roughly 4 to 5 inches long excluding legs. They usually reach their full size in 2 years, most of that size is from the first year then they slowly grow a bit more over time, but not much at all. I would say if your frog reaches 2 years of age it will not become any larger than what it is.

Mine did. She got that big in 8 months. She did a lot of things out of the norm. But I feed her really well. I made sure she had an endless supply of feeder fish. Which she preferred over anything else. And yes I am certain she was an African clawed frog. And yes yes did infact get 12 1/2 inches with her legs included. And she are 60-80 feeder fish weekly in addition to other food. She was purchased at a WalMart with three other frogs, which she unfortunately ate. But yes, acf, yes 12 1/2 inches. And we miss her. We will be acquiring more shortly.

Mine did. She got that big in 8 months. She did a lot of things out of the norm. But I feed her really well. I made sure she had an endless supply of feeder fish. Which she preferred over anything else. And yes I am certain she was an African clawed frog. And yes yes did infact get 12 1/2 inches with her legs included. And she are 60-80 feeder fish weekly in addition to other food. She was purchased at a WalMart with three other frogs, which she unfortunately ate. But yes, acf, yes 12 1/2 inches. And we miss her. We will be acquiring more shortly.

With legs stretched its possible yes.

That aside it sounds like this frog may have been way overfed. Clawed frogs really should not eat live fish as a staple because the risk of parasites and disease is really high.

My frogs eat maybe two nightcrawlers and some reptomin sticks per week and are still rather fat.. They really need fed every other day, possibly even only twice a week.

A better diet would be nightcrawlers and/or a high quality turtle/newt/aquatic frog pellet with occasional treats such as krill, raw tilapia, crickets, ect.

Many people feed strictly pellets with great results and long lived frogs.

Yes I know that's a normal diet. She would freak or and start slamming into the glass when hungry, so for her own safety, we put the fish in the 55 gallon tank she was in and let nature take its course. We now breed our own fish, I sell to local pet stores. So my next ACFS will receive fish I breed. And most likely will receive more pellets. Hannibal rejected most pellets. I know oddity two. But she just preferred the fish. I doubt I will ever have another female that large or with her eating habits nor the ability to throw a tantrum. She really liked the white clouds and mosquito minnows the best. She ate a lot of Rosie's, I did not find out until after she passed that they were bad for her. But I know now, so I am breeding guppies, white clouds , and mosquito fish, just for the occasion.

I made all the common mistakes when I first got Hannibal, it wasn't until after I got her that I order books and did research. So my next frogs will be better cared for. I have taken six months to set up new 55 gallon and landscape it and set up my breeder tanks. I read 3 books and consulted with a lab that researches and breeds them. I did a lot of prep this time. It was obvious when Hannibal ate my Bala Sharks that something was up and I needed to research that beautiful very hungry creature. After she out grew the normal length for females I did more. The lab said its not uncommon for Acf females to reach bigger sizes on a wild diet. And I actually did a good job for not knowing a thing when I got her. The next batch of frogs will reside in 2 55 gallons that where custom made to house my babies and I have taken the last six months to get the ready. I'll be planting next month. It should be about 2 months off from housing them.

Back
Top Bottom