My Clowns and Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easton33

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have had two Ocellaris Clownfish in my aquarium for about 5 months now. Recently I added a Green Bubble Anemone into the tank ( I already had a Rose BTA.) The other day, I came home and was surprised to find the clowns swimming in and out of the anemone, rubbing themselves against it. Today, doing my monthly water change, my usually very friendly clowns were quite aggressive. When entering the siphon, they kept coming to bite my hand. The closer I got to the anemone, the harder they began to bite, and the more they did it. Does this mean that these Ocellaris Clowns have accepted my anemone as their host?

Sounds like it to me. Clowns will host anything, so before the nem they were probably hosting a rock or piece of coral. If they've never been so aggressive in defending their "home" it may be because of something else. Maybe they're getting ready to spawn, or have matured more. I had a tiny ocillaris clown and he was super calm. He's still not full grown but definitely bigger. Now when I do a water change he is more bold but stops short of trying to bite me.

I myself got bit this morning by my Clarkii clown. Ouch!!! I think he has hosted a rock..lol There is a anemone in the tank but I don't think the anemone likes him because it crawls under rocks where he can't get at him. :ermm:

It dosent hurt when they bite does it? Mine are still babies and they don't have a problem with my hands yet!

Well its definately not painful, but it is a little surprising! They always loved to rub against my hand and show love, now they just bite! Haha. The most "severe" bites are probably equivalent to getting poked by a small needle. Lol

So I do think these clowns are about to breed! Any advice? I have an empty tank thats 20g that I could turn into a fry tank. Would I need a substrate?

Back
Top Bottom