My cycle log.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pistolero said:
Well tonight I did a 50 gallon water change. The readings after the change (and a teaspoon of ammonia) are:
temp 85*
ammonia 2ppm
nitrite 0.25 ppm
nitrate <5ppm

I might bump up the ammonia, but just a little. I would really like to avoid doing this again!

Keeping hour ammonia at a lower dosage for a few days should help the no2 from rocketing back up too quickly. So, a smaller dosage for a few days won't hurt. I just wouldn't keep it there indefinitely because you don't want the bacteria to adjust to the lower dosage. 3-4 days won't make have any negative impact though.

Yes! Those little bugs are doing their thing.

temp 86*
ammonia 1 ppm
nitrite 2 ppm
nitrate 20 ppm

I think I'm gonna have fish next weekend.

Power was out here from about 10 this morning until 6 tonight. Latest numbers:

temp 86*
ammonia <0.25 ppm
nitrite 5 ppm
nitrate 40 ppm

I'll bump the ammonia back up and get ready for another pwc tomorrow.

Well the other night I got the ammonia back up to 4 ppm and left it until today.

temp 87*
ammonia 0
nitrite >5 ppm
nitrate 40 ppm
ph= 6.8

40 gallon water change got the ph back to 7.5. Nitrite still high end. Snapped a pic of the tank. White gravel, fake plants, a cave I made from some HD slate. Gonna probably go with black background and more rocks/caves etc. Live plants when I get better lighting.

Attachments

• IMG-55g01.jpg
    IMG-55g01.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 63
Just tested, ph 7.5, ammonia at 0, and nitrite still high. No fish this weekend.:nono:
The temp is up to 89*. Added a dose of Prime to detoxify the high nitrites then grabbed a piece of foam out of the 10 gallon filter and put it in the AC 70. May help give it a boost? Then added ammonia to 2 ppm to feed those bugs. Hoping the ones that eat the nitrites come alive soon.

pistolero said:
Tested last night, nitrites still high. Ph was down to 6.6. I picked up a thing of Seachem Alkaline Buffer and added the recommended dose and got 8.0. I hope I did the right thing.

Oh yeah, put some java moss and crystalwort in the tank last night, and added one of these: http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/Detail.aspx?id=3416

The buffer won't hurt. I personally prefer natural products, but it's an empty tank and it should help keep the pH stable. I don't think it should be much longer, especially now that you've got a way to prevent the pH from dropping. Just time to play the waiting game a bit more.

I think that same light came with my 10 gallon QT. I took it off and did kind of a DIY lunar light on my 46 gallon. It's an open top tank, so I ended up using some 3M Velcro and secured it on the center brace. It gives off a pretty cool beam of light through the center of the tank, and I use it before lights on and once they go off to give kind of a natural day / night cycle for the fish (they're spoiled :) )

BWAHAHAHAAAA!

I just got home and did a test that reads 0.25 nitrite!

I hope it's actually BB doing it and not just the plants sucking it up. I only have a small amount of java moss and a couple of short cabombas in that tank, I messed up the crystalwort and took it out. I did come home and added a dose of API Leaf Zone at lunchtime (stopped at the Petsmart on the way to the house, nice to have them 1/2 a mile from home!), thinking to give them a little boost. That wouldn't mess up the test would it? I'd hate to get excited now and find out it isn't really cycling.

pistolero said:
BWAHAHAHAAAA!

I just got home and did a test that reads 0.25 nitrite!

I hope it's actually BB doing it and not just the plants sucking it up. I only have a small amount of java moss and a couple of short cabombas in that tank, I messed up the crystalwort and took it out. I did come home and added a dose of API Leaf Zone at lunchtime (stopped at the Petsmart on the way to the house, nice to have them 1/2 a mile from home!), thinking to give them a little boost. That wouldn't mess up the test would it? I'd hate to get excited now and find out it isn't really cycling.

Plants don't really uptake the no2...so...you're hours away from having an officially cycled tank!!!!! The ferts won't effect anything.

Added ammonia last night to 4 ppm and now have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. It is ready.
We'll be shopping for fish this weekend.

pistolero said:
Added ammonia last night to 4 ppm and now have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. It is ready.
We'll be shopping for fish this weekend.

Just remember to turn the heater down if you've got it cranked up...and make sure the no3 is below 20. Enjoy your fish :)

Just remember to turn the heater down if you've got it cranked up...and make sure the no3 is below 20. Enjoy your fish :)

Yup, dialing the temp back down slowly. It's been around 88*. Plan on one more big water change before adding fish and make sure the nitrates are down.
Thanks for all the help.

Got fish! Long day today, got home from work and started the massive water change. Changed 45 gallons of it at least. Still measured right at 20 ppm nitrates. I'll do a 30% or so Sunday.
It's a fantail tank. Took the kids to a lfs and that's what they insisted on. Pretty much knew it from the start. The guy at the lfs gave us a killer deal, I think because of the kids. He had one big orange fantail my son wanted bad in a tank with some koi about his size. No prices were marked on that tank. The kids had been telling him about their tank and all since we had walked in. When he was over by where it was my wife says "How much for that big fantail?" He says "I'll take $4.99". HA! I wish he had more of them, that was the only fantail he had. Took them to Petsmart after that and got 2 smaller calico fantails. Was going to pick up 5 or so peppered cories, and they had them at the Petsmart but there were two dead ones in that tank.

As eco commands ... so shall it be done...

Attachments

• resized01.jpg
    resized01.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 38
  • resized02.jpg
    resized02.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 43
  • resized03.jpg
    resized03.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 34
  • resized04.jpg
    resized04.jpg