My dad wants a puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! You may have seen my previous post, where I said that my dad wanted a fish for his office. He now wants a puffer fish (I have one, and after he fed in once, he kinda fell in love with puffers). He would PREFER a puffer that can live in something like a 55 gallon, but I think he will be fine with it being a bit larger or smaller. Also, since this is his first fish, it would be better if it was 100% freshwater.

I know about dwarf puffers, but my dad doesn't like them because they are too small. What do you guys recommend?

Also, if there is no puffer variety that fits those needs for a 55 gallon, is there any fish species that can live alone, is cute and is around the 6 inch mark? Not like a community fish like an angelfish or a betta or something, he wants an oddball fish. Not the ones you can find in like Petsmart and Petco. Thanks!

He is opposed to a brackish setup? My green spotted are awesome. I have amazon and pea puffers in a few setup. The peas are cool. The amazon are no stop, they'd probably be a distraction in an office, maybe good??? They need teeth management which is a burden I will not undertake again. The other fw type I know of spend most of their time borrowed in sand. A figure 8 or gsp would be my vote. Brackish is not all that much more work. Just need to mix in marine salt when doing wcs. I do a monthly wc on my 40b with 3 gsp.

Thanks. It’s not that he’s opposed to brackish, it’s just that it’s his first tank and he won’t really have the time to mix the salt and everything. I will also only be able to go there from time to time to help him. Yea I have a GSP too they are pretty awesome!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom