My dalmatian molly died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsareva

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A month ago, I adopted a male dalmatian molly from an acquaintance who was moving, and she gave me her 5 gallon acrylic tank, filter, water heater, and UV lamp, as well as the flake food, aquarium salt, and water conditioner. When I fed him today, I noticed him dead on the side of the tank.

The molly was given to me in a small plastic container with his tank emptied. A few weeks before I adopted him, he had a female partner who died and I believe she gave birth at some point, though I do not know exactly when. The fish I adopted was bought a few months ago.

I had to move him a few days ago to my new place, so I put him in the same small plastic container (about 8 oz) filled with his aquarium water and emptied the tank, and refilled it again about two hours later. I'm afraid I may have left him in the container for too long, but he seemed fine when I acclimated him to the refilled tank and he seemed happy until today, when he was obviously dead when I got home.

I feed him 2-3 times a day with flake food. I was considering buying some brine shrimp, but I never ended up doing so. I performed a few 25% water changed about once a week, and with the move I did a 100% water change. I put the appropriate amount of salt and water conditioner in when I did these 25% changes. I put 1 tbsp of aquarium salt in his tank, along with the water conditioner when I moved him a few days ago. I also changed the filter, as the previous owner suggested that I change the filter once a month.

I don't know exactly what went wrong that led to his death and I'm trying to figure it out. It may have just been the combined stress of two moves in a month, but I want to make sure that whatever mistake I made doesn't happen again. I'm considering buying a new fish and want to make sure that it will live a long and happy life. This new fish may or may not be a molly. I can't afford to buy a new tank nor do I have the space, so the fish will need to be able to live in a 5-gallon tank. Does anyone have a diagnosis for how my molly died and what and advice for what I can do in the future if I decide to buy a new fish?

I'm very sorry for your loss. Welcome to Aquarium Advice. I'm very glad you are here!

I'll let the molly experts answer your molly questions.

I forgot to include that I refilled the tank with new water when I just moved. After googling a bit about fish moving, that coupled with the fact that I replaced the filter right after I moved may have led to his death because there then would be little good bacteria left, so no bacteria could cycle the nitrates. .

I'm probably going to restart with a nitrogen cycle for a few weeks, and then I may get a betta instead of a molly, because they're better adapted for smaller tanks.

Hi, yes - it sounds water conditions / loss of good bacteria / stress. Coupled with a small tank. Small tanks I find are harder to keep with a larger tank more stable.

Feeding could of been a little high as well. I also find that difficult to get right for only one or two fish.

Will post some links tonight on getting started fyi.

I had a platy that had been fine in a 5gal to keep it going. Dumped a whole heap of plants in as I was in a rush. Fish looked off but did a large pwc next day and blip, lost the fish almost straight away.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Its great that you are here asking questions to figure out what happened, and any future fish will surely have a great home! Lots of knowledgeable folks on here, to help you when needed along the way, welcome to AA!

Your Molly

Hello t...

Mollies are the most sensitive fish you can keep. If the water isn't kept extremely clean, they can become stressed and a stressed fish is a sick fish. The water in a small tank can become unlivable very quickly, because of building wastes from the fish. The fish needs a large tank. Large tanks have a lot of water in them and a lot of water dilutes mistakes in tank management.

It's regrettable, but not too surprising that a Molly in such a small tank didn't live very long.

B

Back
Top Bottom