My DIY CO2 experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok- picked ip a bottle of Excel to help deal w/BBA yesterday and decided to go ahead and take a stab at a home "brew" CO2 generator. I picked up silicone airline tubing and an anti-siphon valve, and a Hagen bubble counter/diffuser (looks like an angled ladder) at the lfs. Had wife pick up yeast while at the grocery. Had a nice 1/2 gallon juice bottle I thought would be perfect.

Drilled a home n the cap of 13/64. The hose pulled through nice and tight. I "sealed" it just in case with hot glue.

Mixed up some warm water with sugar (2 cups) and baking soda, put in bottle, added yeast and lightly swirled it around to get it all wet. Put cap on, connect to the anti-siphon and see what happens.

Didn't take long for the bottle to get foamy and to see lots of bubbles in the bottle. But nothing ver got to the tank.

Double checked and could smell fermentation around the bottle- so pulled top, pulled tubing, reglued and tried again. Couple of hours later- still. Nothing.

Then I figured out the problem- the lid was not sealing (wasn't my drilling, pulling, or gluing- the cap was just junk (so much for juice being kept fresh.. Hmmmm)

So I clean out a 2ltr drink bottle, drip the cap, pulley tube, hot glue, then funnel in the mixture from the juice bottle. Within 20 minutes of hooking up w/ new bottle- WE HAVE BUBBLES! Now to regulate them without creating too much pressure.

Also have a canister set to run after the lights go out to help agitate the water.

So how long until the Amazon Swords start pearling!!! (biggrin)???

While it looks like a lot of bubbles- I am counting barely over 2 bubbles coming out of the tube per minute..

Back
Top Bottom