My diy pond HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks similar to what we did this spring! Its an inground pond though & the pump is outside the pond (not submersible). Make sure you have shutoff valve running to the barrel. We also put an additional pipe out of the bottom of the barrel with a shutoff valve- it makes emptying water & flushing out the barrel/filter media alot easier. We used plastic circular roof vents inside the barrel to make different levels for media & put a hinge top on the barrel to make opening & closing it easy. :)

jlk said:
Looks similar to what we did this spring! Its an inground pond though & the pump is outside the pond (not submersible). Make sure you have shutoff valve running to the barrel. We also put an additional pipe out of the bottom of the barrel with a shutoff valve- it makes emptying water & flushing out the barrel/filter media alot easier. We used plastic circular roof vents inside the barrel to make different levels for media & put a hinge top on the barrel to make opening & closing it easy. :)

What did you use as filter media? I was thinking sponges and scrubber pads. Also if I take a skimmer and feed it direct to the bottom of the filter, will the water just back up through the skimmer?

We didnt make a skimmer set-up yet, so I am not sure how to answer that. Ours will have to be seperate from everything else. Its been a DIY project thats been gradual over last couple mths (whens theres extra cash for stuff). For filter media, theres quite an assortment! Theres large sponges (type for washing car), shower scrubber balls/loofahs, polyfill, some rock on the bottom & layers of chimney filter stuff (course sponge type material). I wanted to add a layer of brillo/kitchen scrubber pads but the dollar store only had ones either with soap or metal, so that was skipped & just added more of everything else.

Back
Top Bottom