my fantail and white growth can someone identify for me please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrewdeakins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, this is my first post and unfortunately, not a lighthearted introduction,

I have a lovely fantail goldfish which is now struggling to balance and doesnt look happy. it has a weird white growth on the top and I have no idea what it is (I thought it was carp pox and therefore would recover given time) but the fish is getting worse (also thought it was swim bladder, but my fish is still pooing fine) the poor thing seems to struggle to keep straight and often ends upside down on the bottom.

I have posted a pic and was wondering if anyone can help.

Thanks
Andrew.

Attachments

• myfish.jpg
    myfish.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 88
Welcome to AA!!! Can you provide a bt more info for us please? Tank size? Stocking? Water parameters? Water change schedule?

It looks like he has lympthocystis (although the possiblity of another type tumor exists as well). Its viral in nature and causes enlargement & overgrowth of the cells. There is no treatment available to general aquarists. As the growth is affecting his buoyancy & ability to swim, I strongly suggest seeking out the aid of an aquatic vet for help in dealing with this. A vet would also be able to biopsy the growth to determine its exact causative nature. If you some help in finding one, please ask and we can point you in the right direction!

In the meantime, keep his water as healthy possible even if this means water changes every other day or every day and limit his stress. Make sure he is getting an adequate, healthy diet with a quality food that also includes daily veggies & some fresh proteins. Garlic and plus vitaminC packed veggies/fruits will also help to keep his immune system strong. Please ask if we can be of further help!!

hi jlk,

many thanks for the response, i'm anything but an expert on fish keeping. I Have a 60 L tank and change the water 50% each week and clean filters, clean the ornaments etc. I'm not sure of the ph and nitrates in the tank so im guessing will have to buy a kit.

I have 2 other fish in the tank, a blackmore and a redcap which are both fine. I was given a smaller tank for my birthday and we traded it in for a larger tank as I love seeing the fish swim round (quite relaxing) We've had the larger fish about a year now and I was thinking we were getting the hang of keeping the fish after our first one died.

Could you give me a little advice on the foods e.g. veggies, what do you typically give the fish, we have dried blood worm and pellets (new era) so im guessing protein isn't an issue but would like to know what veggies I can give them and vitimin C / garlic ?

Thanks
Andrew.

Thanks, Andrew!! Ok, here's the bad news. 60l is only @15g. Unfortunately, with three fancies, your pretty overstocked. Stress is the biggest factor in viral issues with goldfish and insufficient water is a major stressor. These guys honestly need atleast a 40g tank. I would increase your water changes to 50%+ atleast 2-3x a week for now.

For garlic, you can either get a product such as garlic guard, a garlic enhanced food such as NLS or soak the food for a little bit in garlic juice before feeding. For vitC, there's lots of foods with high vitC such as broccoli, cauliflower, green leafy stuff (spinach, kale collard greens etc), peppers plus fruits like orange, tangerine, kiwi and strawberries. Veggies should be fresh/frozen and cooked before offering. A garlic press works well to smoosh tougher stuff into bits.

Improving the water and diet may be enough to help him fight this on his own but I still suggest seeking an aquatic vets help. Here's a link with more info on goldfish: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Hi there, thanks again
sorry i got my measurements mixed up the old tank was 60 L the one I have now is 125L :

JUWEL® Aquarium | Rio 125 black

I tried calling a vet today but I could only get an appointment for today unfortunately we had to see the midwife about our new baby which I have to say was a little more important. I have seperated him out right now into a large container with plants and air in case theres a chance of infection and I will feed him some of the things you recommend and will try and get him to the vets as soon as possible. Feel really bad about leaving the poor little guy floating on his side as hes one of the family !

Back
Top Bottom