My first 3 corals that didn't come on lr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I was at a lfs asking about a light fixture while I was at register someone came in asking for store credit for 3 frags they had store said no but we'll take them for free guy looked at me said do you want a metallic green (real flourescent lime green looking) trumpet, a green mushroom, and blue hornet zoa with roughly 20 on a plug looks like really small heads. will theses do ok in a jbj nanocube 24 dx tank with flourescent lights? also what's best levels to place in tank? asked guy how much for them an where atm was close by only had my debit card from bank on me he said its your lucky day they free. :D

Thanks Mr X appreciate it. seems i put the shroom an trumpet coral too low will move . pushed plug for coral in sand next to rock and mushroom in sand other side of tank touching rock so will move those two. any suggestion on how best to cut bottom of plug so can set plug flat on rock? picks be comming soon gotta get batteries though cheap camera get best i can :) .

A dremel? Perhaps a strong pair of dykes...
Meanwhile, if you feel the intensity is good on the sand bed, by all means, leave them there. These are all low/medium light corals.

Ok I'll leave them be see what happens noticed mushroom turned brown but then 10 or so minutes later dark green is he getting too much light ? maybe adjusting? heres pics after 24 hours in tank these looking healthy? also the blue hornet when i googled blue hornet doesn't look like 1 do they get deeper blue when older? or he miss name it? had 16 more hornets but seen someone on cl wanting coral sold 16 for 100 to help with led upgrade an kept plug for myself as starter colony.

Attachments

• trumpet 001.jpg
    trumpet 001.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 97
  • greenmushroom 001.jpg
    greenmushroom 001.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 108
  • bluehornet 001.jpg
    bluehornet 001.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 114
They don't look like blue hornets to me.
Either way, they aren't going to show the effects of lighting for a couple weeks. They look different in your tank because your lighting is different.

thats what I thought too but i'm a rookie to corals so figured would find out here if are or not blue hornets though I do like the color of them either way. when googled blue hornets didn't see any they look like mine. Once they start spreading that should add some color to tank. thanks good to know lighting takes few weeks to see effects. planning these next , Dragon Eye, radio active
Dragon Eye, Colony Polyp Green, Colony Polyp Orange/Green, then to top out an b done with 24 either purple dragon eye or these i think be better Darth Maul. would all those fit or be too crowded?

They will fit. Eventually, zoas out-compete each other by size. In other words, the tallest, largest, fastest growing polyp wins.

might be better then 1 zoa to tank or learn to frag to keep them in check so all survive just have to keep setting up tanks or talk the closest fish store in to re opening their saltwater section again.

I agree I like zoas alot think they my favorite type of coral. just hope when they start competting for space one doesn't out compete all others and wipeout the other colonies. the guy who gave me the zoa zn lfs said they grow slow 1 head every 6 month is this true? on other sites i was seeing 1 head a week an others said 1 a month.

They are all different. I don't know for sure. A basic rule is, the more you see a zoa for sale, the faster it grows.

that makes sense. think zoa might actually be eye of rah or blow pop closest 2 i found that looks like it.

my zoas got 3 new polyps is this normal to grow this fast? i been shooting them some froze brine shrimp on occasion took 18 days to get these 3 noticed the 1 new 1 bout week ago :)

You don't need to shoot food at them. It's not really beneficial. Good lighting and parameters is all you need.

thanks i was told had to 2-3 times a week so i just did it wasn't really sure. now wont have to worry bout that. here i was wondering if i fed enough food thanks Mr. X

Back
Top Bottom