My first co2 reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a problem getting my co2 levels up in my 20 gal using the HOB filter as a diffusor. I thought I would try to make a reactor. It's powered by a maxi-jet 600 (160 gph). I couldn't really find anything like bio-balls to put in it, but I filled it 1/4 full of tile spacers. I have not had a chance yet to use it really, just a trial in the kitchen sink to check for leaks. It's not much to look at but hopefully it will do the job.

Attachments

• zzzzzz_205.jpg
    zzzzzz_205.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 60
  • zzzzzzzzz_175.jpg
    zzzzzzzzz_175.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 59
Dang...smart idea. I am taking notes...thinking about upping power in my low maintenance tank.

I used a similar concept using a plastic container. I had problems getting the DIY Co2 to build enough pressure to force it into the reactor. I checked my entire setup for leaks and found none. Not saying they werent there, just that I didnt find them. My pump seemed to be too strong. You may or may not have an issue with it. I hope not. I just posted this to warn you to keep an eye open for pressure problems.

Good luck and good job!

I fed the co2 into the intake of the powerhead. So it gets choped up there then into the reactor to further disolve. The only problem I can see so far is that there may not be enough turbulance inside the reactor. However no visable co2 bubbles are coming out through the outflow end so I assume it's working ok. I'll find out this evening when I get a ph reading how well it is working.

BTW, I'm gonna paint this thing for sure because a white pipe sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyone know what kind of paint could be used?

Well I had to put a filter sleeve from a whisper filter into the reactor to help keep the co2 in until it dissolved completely. My ph readings have been from a peak of 50ppm to the lowest of 32ppm taken a few hours before lights off. So thats an average of 41ppm over a 12 hour period. My plants have been pearling ok to. I just hope I can keep up on changing the diy co2 tanks and the fert schedule. This tank is just shy of 5wpg now.

I don't know what you are doing as far as co2 source, but if you are using DIY yeast method co2, be careful the powerhead suction does not implode your generator container.

Well this experiment worked ok at first. I came home today though and the ph was 7.6 so something is screwed up. The powerhead was still pumping water through but co2 levels were just not where they should be. I think maybe the filter cartridge sleeve I used in the reactor got clogged up. I might try it again when I have more time, but for now I'm going to try the mist method and see what kind of results I can get.

Ok, I traced the problem to a bad CO2 mix. I hooked the reactor back up and have been getting a CO2 level of 50ppm since.

Back
Top Bottom