My first fishless cycle is complete - 10g FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatatonicBug

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started with a simple tank, left over from an old setup my wife had before we met.

Attachments

• 10g new reduced.JPG
    10g new reduced.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 372
I added new gravel and the Magnum HOT filter I had gotten with my 47g tank, and plumbed an airline across my basement rafters and into this new tank. Then, I have gradually added a few plants, and I found 2 old pots laying around and added them this last weekend. I am expecting some Java Moss soon, and will post a new pic when I add that to the tank.

Attachments

• 10g with pots.jpg
    10g with pots.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 245
What I would really like to do is make this a breeder tank. GBRs really sound like something that would be nice to try. I thought about Powder blue gouramis, but can't seem to find females around here. If nothing else, I know guppies would work, but I was hoping for something a bit more exotic.

I actually have gotten addicted to the idea of a black background. Static cling holds a black trash bag to the tank very nicely, but I haven't gotten around to that aspect of this tank just yet. Maybe once I get the Java Moss from Black Hills TJ.

GBRs aren't a bad idea. They'll likely enjoy the caves, but you might want to plant a little bit heavier, as fry like the hiding space somewhat.

I do plan to plant a LOT more. This will also be my plant nursery tank. I can actually reach the bottom of this one, unlike my 47g tall.

Ok, I have added some Java Moss. I've never used this stuff before, so I don't really know what to expect out of it, but it cinda looks cool as a covering for the pots and a foreground grassy area. What do you think?

Attachments

• 10g with java moss flash 2.jpg
    10g with java moss flash 2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 313
  • 10g with java moss no flash.jpg
    10g with java moss no flash.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 325
I finally found a breeder on aquabid willing to sell me 2 pairs of longfinned GBRs. I expect them to be delivered on Friday. I'll post pics once they arrive. I'm so excited!!

My GBRs are here!! They really are pretty, even as young as they are. I look forward to seeing them develop and get more color. I also took some pics of the neons I have in the same tank.

Attachments

• 1 pair of rams.jpg
    1 pair of rams.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 2 pairs of rams.jpg
    2 pairs of rams.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 4 neons.jpg
    4 neons.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 67
  • pair of rams.jpg
    pair of rams.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 70
They finally recognize me as a source of food, and come up to the front of the tank when I walk up. I just got some female guppies for my small tank, and will transfer any fry that I get into this tank as a source of live food for them. I'm told that guppy fry are actually an encouragement to get GBRs to breed. We'll see!

They are pretty! About 1/2 again as big as they were when I got them. However, the females died... I went to the LFS and got one more young one, but it turned out to be a male too. The java moss is growing like crazy, and I have to trim it back about once a month. Right now, I'm fighting some hair algae in the tank though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom