My first, second, tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martin_j001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got multiple tank syndrome for the first time. Starting small though. Decided to set up the 10 gallon I've had around for a while. Don't have fish in it yet, but planning to get some this weekend. We're considering some black skirt tetras or neon tetras and a small catfish or pleco maybe. Figured it would be nice to have some smaller fish with maybe a bit more/different colors than the larger tank....

img_817903_0_f789b26eb7f12d439e6b11e7c3c754f8.jpg

Neat looking tank, are those fake plants? I had..have MTS horribly. I researched abunch of info on this forum, ended up buying one 10 gallon, and then another 10 gallon, and then another. And finally broke down and bought two 20 gallons. I practically have a LFS in my house.

If you decide on plecos, why not get some Oto Catfish instead - they are smaller and I've had really good luck with them eating algae and diatoms when starting up new tanks.

Off topic: What bike is that in your pic? Cool to see a fellow rider, I've got a 04 CBR600RR - when the weather clears after this rain storm its time to hit the twistys this weekend!

As far as pleco's go...most grow too large for a 10g however, I think a Bushnose or Albino Bushynose pleco would do well in a tank that size. They stay pretty small. As far as cats go, you could probably get a few cories(no less because they like to school). And when it comes to cories(corydoras) pick your favorite flavor because they all stay about the same size. You could also go with Otocinclus. If you want color...I'd suggest cherry barbs. The males are drop dead gorgeous and I'd say that cherries are the tamest of all barbs.

Here's some pics

one of my cherry barbs
img_817908_0_aee6cc3462df0f23b4d4b408c1e85bae.jpg

two of my cories
img_817908_1_0efc08c2623bdac0e8fab10ab3ce1add.jpg

gundy--those are live plants. I've never had great luck with live plants (fish always eat them and all), but figured I'd try it with this little tank and see how things go.

Now that I've got a spare Eheim 2213 filter around, I'm trying to convince my wife we need a 30 gallon (or larger) in the bedroom! :)

The bike is a Suzuki SV650 that is HEAVILY modified....its basically a race bike without the engine mods (yet ;) ). North GA mountains are only an hour away, and the Tail of the Dragon is a day trip I've done numerous times! :D

Thanks for the pics and suggestions, blackhills.

MTS is very contagious. I started with a 5 gal, now I have 12 tanks ranging from 125 gals to 5. Definately get something other than a common pleco for your 10 gals. Otos are great fish, I have several in my smaller tanks.

nice tank! I wouldn't put a pleco in it if I was you. most breeds of plecos will out grow a 10 gallon rather quickly...trsut me lol. you might get away with putting a godl nugget pleco in there, they stay about 6 inches. They are pretty expensive though and have to have excellent water qualitys and awide variety of a diet.

I'm not looking to make this on expensive, so it sounds like the oto's might be what I want.... Will be going fish shopping later today, so I'll see what I can find then. Thanks for the tips everyone! :)

UPDATE!!!!!

Well, just got back from one LFS....got two dwarf cory's, and 6 painted tetras to start with. Couldn't get a good pic of the cory's yet, but here's a shot of the tetras....

img_817960_0_c1a4eb2c88bb87950c049ad8a0c1cb0b.jpg

UPDATE again! Just switched the regular fluorescent light to an Aqua-Glo light....looks much better to me....

img_817960_1_8d608899bae516c07f193f3e62c08da8.jpg

img_817960_2_12cecb77d51bd5e2a1d18401db214d17.jpg

Back
Top Bottom